Author Topic: Tromba d'Albenga  (Read 3141 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Tromba d'Albenga
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:27:58 »
They must grow at least a foot overnight!  Hopefully when they reach the top of the canes they
will start to go across the orange net and I won't have to tie them on every day.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Tromba d'Albenga
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 13:39:55 »
I was told you should not stand still beside them for too long, because they will be climbing up your legs. :toothy10:

I have two crawling into my early potato bed, and reckoned to be digging up one potato plant every couple of days, but I cannot eat them fast enough.

I prefer to prevent them growing too many fruits because I like nice big ones for winter storage.  My first fruit is about six inches long.  I like the fact that you can slice them and the wound seems to seal.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 13:57:13 »
oh, I just ordered them this morning. I had never heard of them until looking through the sarah raven sale. I am going to grow one or two up an obelisk, sounds like a very useful veg, courgette to squash, summer eating and winter storage

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 17:05:50 »
They are my favourite squash good flavour, I did not manage any last year and I really missed them. 

I did find them a bit germination shy, I removed a little former of piece of the seed casing.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 22:24:21 »
Close relative to butternut squash, but I find them easier to grow and they store very well too.

Not bad eaten as courgette either.  Squash yours look splendid  :sunny:

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 05:32:33 »
Close relative to butternut squash, but I find them easier to grow and they store very well too.

Not bad eaten as courgette either.  Squash yours look splendid  :sunny:

Splendid indeed! I'm a butternut squash liker too, and if they are easier to grow, then they'll do for me.
I'll add them to my 'want one' list..

Lovely stuff Squash64...! :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 07:09:24 »
Their skins are not as hard as butternut squash so much easier to prepare.  The seeds are all up one end so there is very little wastage.  Yet they keep very well.  I had one keep for 9 months.  Because they reseal the cut you can use them for days.  And they have a good flavour.  So much better than a butternut squash.  I think they liked the warm weather my plants are huge this year.   :sunny: :icon_cheers:

They rarely survive much beyond Christmas, but this year I have a lot of plants.  If I eat one a week, then I reckoned I need 24, hoping for 2-3 per plant.  They are filling the potato beds, they are covering the compost piles.  They are smothering the weeds.  They are sisters to the sweetcorn. They are climbing the apple trees.  Paths?  What paths?   Weeds?  What weeds.  :tongue3:   

I normally find with a BNS I am sawing my fingers off trying to peel them and then find they are full to the brim with seeds.   Though I do enjoy the seeds toasted.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 18:26:49 »
my last squash is just setting fruit now, it was meant to be harrier but the squashes are long with a lump at the end. I am thinking it might be a stray one of those trombone squashes. It is sprawling and taking off after a slow start

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 18:31:32 »
I grew this one a few years ago up some canes.  When it reached the
ground it curled over on itself.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 21:33:08 »
I was told you should not stand still beside them for too long, because they will be climbing up your legs. :toothy10:

LOL!

Betty that picture is brilliant -is it Mr Squash?!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 22:02:19 »

LOL!

Betty that picture is brilliant -is it Mr Squash?!

No, it's Mr Squash's brother!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 01:03:24 »
Where can I buy some seeds of this wonderful looking variety ? Any suggestions please.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 04:38:34 »
Where can I buy some seeds of this wonderful looking variety ? Any suggestions please.

I buy mine from Seeds of Italy
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/SQUASH_TROMBA_OF_ALBENGA/p1834925_8313519.aspx

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 08:47:28 »
This was my weirdest trombo ever.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/222655/

Grew up and down the greenhouse staging and the end was squashes flat against the greenhouse glass.

The only way we could harvest it, was to take the glass panes out of the greenhouse.   :sunny:

Have grown them outside since!!! 

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 11:38:53 »
I have found that the fruits can become very heavy,  when I grew them up canes I found I needed several very sturdy ones.   

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 11:50:38 »
This was my weirdest trombo ever.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/222655/

Grew up and down the greenhouse staging and the end was squashes flat against the greenhouse glass.

The only way we could harvest it, was to take the glass panes out of the greenhouse.   :sunny:

Have grown them outside since!!!

That's fantastic!  I suppose if we had the inclination we could train them into all sorts
of shapes.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal