Author Topic: When to dig up Swede  (Read 2684 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
When to dig up Swede
« on: August 01, 2013, 21:03:58 »
I have some swede which I grew from seedlings that I bought at the local market. I just put them in the ground to fill up some spare soil.  Well it's only the end of July and some of them are growing to the size of a melon . They are huge !! My books say they should be harvested from September onwards but I am concerned at them getting bigger as I understand they can turn woody. Should I pull them as some of them are getting so big they are begining to sit on top of the soil !  :happy7:
Bring back Spotty Dog........

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: When to dig up Swede
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 21:11:10 »
The only reason they are suggested to eat later in the autumn is that they are sweeter after a bit of frost. However if they are ready and you want to eat them now then why on earth not.

As you surmise they are much more likely to be tender and succulent now, if not quite as sweet, than later in the year. :happy7:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:49:52 »
My first plantings of swede this year are really quite big too. I think they must have loved the cool wet growing conditions earlier on. I'm going to be picking out the largest ones to eat from now on. Although I don't find they taste as good as winter ones, they will be big footballs otherwise!

Should I pull them as some of them are getting so big they are begining to sit on top of the soil !  :happy7:
Don't worry, much of a swelling swede is visible above soil level. Just pull one as you need it  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 23:18:42 »
We've been eating ours.  I grew an early cropping swede as well as a late variety this year.  Well pleased with the results.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 18:32:03 »
I have taken four up already. I tend to mash with swede, a little butter and nutmeg  and freeze most in tubs

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal