Author Topic: Good day for wildlife  (Read 1664 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Good day for wildlife
« on: July 30, 2013, 13:58:25 »
I saw the resident from my potato patch yesterday.  She is rather lovely.  Baby is sweet.  I had thought it would be a muntjac  but it is far too big,  She is a Roe deer and she has antlers.  Tried to get a pic but by the time I got my camera out, she was long gone.  But she is eating my carrots.

Then I found a grass snake in my compost bin, first this year.  Not very big must be a male. Very spectacular neck markings, so that would also point to a male.

And there are froglets all over my plot.  I just hope I do not tread on one but it is very difficult avoiding them. They seen very small about the size of a large spider.    Normally they are mixed but this year they all seem to be frogs.   I suppose the snake has arrived to hoover them up.

Mikeakabigman

• Half Acre
  • Haslemere, Surrey
Re: Good day for wildlife
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 14:46:32 »
One of the things I love about allotments is the variety of wildlife that is often seen. We don't have deer in our plots as we have high deer fencing to keep them out. The chances are your Roe deer is a male, it is very rare for females to have antlers.

Heres a shot of a Roebuck that I took a couple of years ago.

Kind regards

Mike.
My blog.   http://mikeyoungarps.blogspot.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Good day for wildlife
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 06:47:26 »
Very similar to the one in your pic, horns much smaller about 1/4 size.

We have waist height fencing and they just jump over.  The seem to like strawberry leaves, carrots, and anything green which sticks above snow.   

Actually they seem to be beneficial for the strawberries since they eat the old leaves off during the winter and hence clear them out of the way for the new growth.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal