Author Topic: Comfrey tea  (Read 1370 times)

captainhastings

• Not So New ...
Comfrey tea
« on: August 03, 2013, 22:37:11 »
I made some Comfrey tea but I am not sure if it is the sterile variety or not I suspect not. But I wasn't sure about just using the leaves or not so I threw in stems as well and possible flowers.
Will if be ok to throw the black goo left from the tea on to me veg patch or do i need to worry about the seeds in it ?

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Comfrey tea
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 06:41:48 »
Which way did you do it?  I use both methods: 1) leaves and stems plus flowers if necessary in a bucket with holes in bottom weighted down with a brick.  This is put inside another bucket to catch the resultant liquid.  In this case it tends to rot down to nothing after time.  I just scrape the residue of the plant onto the patch.  2) in a bin with water:  The leaves rot down totally in time but the stalks tend to take a lot longer.  I just fish them out and plonk round my pumpkins, squashes etc.

captainhastings

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:02:33 »
I lobbed every thing in a container turns out the lid wasn't water proof so It filled with rain water so after 2 weeks I had to empty it. I now haver 3 buckets of sewer water lol to use sharpish and the rest is just load of slimy tops. I will just use leaves and stems in future and avoid the seeds/flowers
Taking a bin up later will pop a hole in the bottom plug with a stick then fill to brim with leaves. This one is water proof :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:08:19 by captainhastings »

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:14:52 »
Nowt wrong with the slimy gunge.  Just plonk it on your plot or in your compost bin.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal