Author Topic: Use for junk mail  (Read 2101 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Use for junk mail
« on: July 26, 2013, 21:05:17 »
I had tied all my celery up with advertisements.   :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Use for junk mail
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 18:18:08 »
 :icon_cheers:

..all envelopes make good seed packets and rest of our junk mail gets burned in stove..it the glossy papered junk mail that I'm not too keen with, it doesn't burn properly.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 23:36:11 »
:icon_cheers:

..it the glossy papered junk mail that I'm not too keen with, it doesn't burn properly.

That's because it's mostly china clay - in too many odd sizes to use anyway - but wet  glossy  magazines become nice tiles when wet = new uses.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:08:10 »
Shredded and composted or scrunched up and composted. Must admit, very glossy stuff goes in the council paper bin  :toothy10:

ericelf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 21:38:55 »
any thing paper especially personal paper work I soak in bucket for couple days then add to compost bin
gnomes4ever

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 22:07:26 »
Good for the bean trench...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 09:36:55 »
I use newspapers shredded in my compost bins and trenches, also wrap food waste, bones etc to put in the green bin
Plain envelopes get the same shredded treatment or save for storing seeds
Windowed and glossy go straight into the council recycle bin.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:00 »
I am starting to think that a good investment would be a paper shredder!!! Although I am dreaming more of a strimmer!!! At my old work we had a document destroyer and I would sometimes bring home sacks of shredded paper for mulch. Don't have that anymore.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:56 »
Think carefully about buying a strimmer Antipodes.  I had a large patch of grass at side of my plot which was up to me to maintain.  Bought a nice strimmer a few years back.  Hardly been out of garage since as its too heavy for me to carry down to the plot and the devil of a job to start.  Find my sickle much easier to handle plus it can be left in shed without too much worry about theft.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 21:31:41 »
Think carefully about buying a strimmer Antipodes. 

I must say strimmers on allotments don't seem to make much sense - I see (actually mostly hear) people spending as much time as it takes me to pull up the long grass between the paths and the beds - but they have to do it two or three times as often as I do because I'm getting 50% of the roots every time I do it - and that's on heavy clay... Why do people want to deafen themselves every couple of weeks using an expensive machine to do a worse job?

I think it's mostly just being and heard seen to do something 'virtuous' makes them feel cleansed - plus a little bit of showing off their buying power.

Very much like wearing your Sunday best to church - hits all their buttons at once.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal