Author Topic: Whats wrong with my Tomato Leaves???  (Read 2235 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
Whats wrong with my Tomato Leaves???
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:52:24 »
Hi All,

Can someone advise me what is wrong with these leaves. The first two photos are from plants outside the second two are in the greenhouse. After taking the photos I removed the leaves.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Whats wrong with my Tomato Leaves???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:10:04 »
It could be not enough Magnesium - tomatos are often affected by lack of Mg which is characterised by yellowing of the leaf edges and between the veins - first happens on older leaves which will brown and die off.   A good seaweed feed might help or an Epson salts spray (or add to water when watering).  Apparently potassium can inhibit uptake of mg and Tomato feeds are often high in that element so it is not always recommended to cure this sort of issue.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 18:26:43 »
It looks to me like the first signs of blight that has dried up with the weather. Probably safest you removed the leaves. While the weather is dry you are reasonably safe although the mornings will get dewier from now on.

Dry tomato leaves are safe tomato leaves, at least as far a blight goes. My advice is to keep the foliage to around a third on each plant and not only will they be less prone to blight they will crop better too. :happy7:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 18:30:32 by ed dibbles »

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 14:34:41 »
I agree with Ed. My tomato leaves are well thinned out now and completely bare from the second truss downwards. I did the same last year and had an absolutely stupendous crop, I ended up with 4 leaves on a plant

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 13:06:08 »
We all have different ideas I would not remove any leaves from my tomato plants as they are there to work for the plant . If you remove too many you can expose the fruits to too much sunlight and get hard  areas form. All my leaves remain all the time they are working for the plant, when I show slides of my tomatoes I am often asked why do I not remove the lower ones, I just reply I cannot see any reason to do so. We all have our own ways. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal