Author Topic: Which crops are loving 2013?  (Read 2416 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Which crops are loving 2013?
« on: July 19, 2013, 14:07:43 »
A difficult cold start to the season, but what a turn around! What is doing well for you so far?

My swedes have grown so much, already a decent size. I think they loved the wet and cool temperatures earlier on.
Strawberries have been excellent.
I have aubergines and peppers  :blob7:
Tomatoes are coming on a treat  :toothy10:
Cucumbers are cropping with loads more in sight  :happy7:
Sweet corn were miserable with the cold start but now they have sunshine they are racing away.
Early potatoes have been super.
Since this hot spell my squash are really putting in some growth and most starting to flower  :drunken_smilie:
Melons are setting  :sunny:

Love it  :icon_cheers:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Which crops are loving 2013?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 14:19:40 »
Definitely the squash - the courgettes are really starting to give generously, especially the patty pan squash, the pumpkins etc all have baby fruit growing. The raspberries are coming on well too.
The tomatoes have loads of fruit growing and the onions are almost ready to pull out.
The peppers have grown well but must be kept watered, yesterday the leaves were completely curled up :( Luckily they seem to recover quickly once they get some water.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 16:25:04 »
Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, courgettes, all doing brilliantly. The carrots that the slugs left are fine, parsnips huge, climbing french beans taken off at last and looking good - I may hate this weather, but my veg are loving it. We've eaten lettuce and rocket till we've turned green, and my herb patch has gone rampant.
Isn't it nice to rejoice instead of moan - thanks for starting the post!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 17:42:03 »
Courgettes, strawberries, calabrese, broadbeans, potatoes - earlies, red currants,

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 19:59:21 »
All the fruit so far, caulis best ever, calabrese coming through now. Spuds nearly ready to store, unprecedented. Overwinter onions drying , march splanted not far off, garlic nearly there, lots of courgettes and salads,tomatoes turning red, going to be a bumper year  :toothy10:

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 21:24:54 »
Just about everything is doing well. the wet spring means there is a lot of water retained in the soil I guess.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 22:25:00 »
It's still all behind by a few weeks in my plot. Beans about to flower, peas just cropping now. My squashes and cucs have only just flowered, but I'm hoping to get something off them by the end of summer!

The soft fruit have done very well though later than usual. Apples look good too - a fair few and goodish size.

Seedlings find the weather a struggle of course, so I double-netted, with black debris netting, the bed where I've sown radish, coriander and spinach, in the hope the shade will allow them to grow and keep them moist. Let's see if it works!

I'm very surprised to see the blackcurrants so late this year - just flowering now. I wonder if they will struggle to ripen before frosts?

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 08:49:30 »
That's interesting; all our blackcurrants are actually harvested...did you mean blackberries?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:35:48 »
duh yes I did sorry! Our currants just ripening now. We've got loads - a fantastic year after last year's miserable performance!

Another good crop this year is tomatoes. Loads of fruit - though resolutely green, no sign of blight so far!

Slugcrusher

• Not So New ...
  • Nothing personal - it's just them or me
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 17:40:53 »
Yeah well there are some that like it too much, cabbage, cauliflower, radish, calabrese, pak choi, lettuce all bolted, but suprisingly onion and garlic have not. :BangHead:

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 17:31:42 »
Everything is doing very well....but I have had to pull some carrots as they were flowering  :BangHead: Parsnips are doing great as are the brassicas. Spuds good too.... :toothy10:

Im also loving the thunder :icon_cheers:, though I do hope it hasnt caused too many problems with the heavy rain for others :toothy2:
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 19:23:25 »
Everything is good. After a slow start, all crops have caught up and some are a month ahead.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 00:03:21 »
Kohl rabi was the best I've grown though it's now almost finished might try to get a second crop in somewhere..... my carrots and parsnips seem to be doing well, I had great poncy leaf salad from the GH earlier this year but not ATM, raspberries have been good, but then it's only their second year cropping in that location, hich reminds me I ought to chuck some tomato fertiliser in there.... courgettes are starting to go mad....french beans starting to really accelerate, sweetcorn looks good so far, blackcurrants were a big crop until the birds got to them...

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 09:26:19 »
Everything is doing well, but because of the heat the season is short for peas, beans, spinach.  I have now planted peas twice more, also spinach and lettuce, but ran out of bean seed!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal