Author Topic: I know you don't need telling  (Read 5303 times)

ACE

• Hectare
I know you don't need telling
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:04:32 »
In this heat a car can be like an oven in 5 minutes even with the windows cracked. Don't be tempted to pop into the shop with your dog in the car. Even driving along it gets too hot, mine has a concession that he can sit in the front with his head in the wind.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: I know you don't need telling
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:25:07 »
..but it don't hurt to remind about it.. :icon_thumleft: Luckily there has been very little bad new about 'accidents' with this heat wave even if media haven't been warning about it much recently..well I haven't heard much anyway..
We don't have 'dog in the hot car problem' ...we can't get our monkey to get up to start with.. :icon_cheers: She just sleeps away the hottest part of the day and eventually wake up being 'full of beans' and wanting to have some activity (usually when are ready to wind down :BangHead:)

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 13:35:09 »
Good point about how hot cars get Ace. But another word of warning about people who let the dog stick their head out of the window of the car. I am sure that is not what you mean because it always worrys me in the event of an accident or sudden braking that the dog would get hurt.

Of course it would not apply to where you live Ace as you will never get much speed up o that little rock you live on without having to turn round and go back home.  :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 13:41:06 »
Of course it would not apply to where you live Ace as you will never get much speed up o that little rock you live on without having to turn round and go back home.
:laughing7:
..should not really need a car... :icon_cheers:

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 19:16:46 »
Totally agree with you ace. Yesterday after I had walk them I took them straight home and then went and got milk from the local farm. It would have saved me time going straight there but even with all the windows down and sunroof open it was boiling. Not worth taking a chance they were both knackered from their walk.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 22:27:34 »

..should not really need a car... :icon_cheers:

The hound likes a drive he don't rate walkies. It's only the super duper space wagon that gets hot unless the aircon is on, the little bugger jumps out of the convertable and he is not really allowed in that one. I suppose I could strap him to the harley tank.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 06:27:46 »
Please remember also that pavements & roads can burn their pads as well in this excessive heat.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 08:42:39 »
Please remember also that pavements & roads can burn their pads as well in this excessive heat.

I didn't know that.  Can do with all advice please because we are going to dog-sit our 'grand-dog' (my son's description!) for the next week.  Lovely thick black hot coat.  I think walkies might be early in the morning and late.  If we walk a mile and back, do I need to take a water bottle and bowl?  Guess I better had.

She gets strapped in in the car, has a travel harness that gets clipped to the seatbelt.  She can move around a bit but not go to the front of the car.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 08:45:53 »
Definitely water & a bowl & water for you as well

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 09:45:40 »
Please remember that other animals cannot get away from the heat- thinking about rabbits in hutches especially - who are very vulnerable. They cool safe run and plenty of water.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 15:57:15 »

do I need to take a water bottle and bowl? 

I grabbed a couple of something similar from the pound shop

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 08:18:42 »
Definitely water & a bowl & water for you as well

thanks everybody - we are going walkies with a shared water bottle and with an ancient plastic saucer and she does drink quite a bit - shows she needs it.

Interesting what you find in your local pound shops, Ace ?!?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal