Author Topic: cretin from up the road  (Read 5362 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
cretin from up the road
« on: July 15, 2013, 22:51:48 »
Mowed the front lawn this morning.  Noticed the smell of dog droppings but couldn’t see them.  The smell followed me everywhere and it was quite strong.  Found loads of it over the kitchen and living room floor as it had come in on my wellies. Cleaned up and washed said footwear but couldn’t get rid of the smell which made me feel quite sick.

Know whose dogs did it too.  The old git who walks his dogs down the street in the morning and evening.  One morning whilst doing the lawn he stood at the bottom of it a few inches away from me whilst his dogs did their business looking me in the eye and challenging me to say something.  I asked him nicely to please stop his dogs defecating on my garden.  He needed clarification of the word which I told him to be told that he couldn’t stop his dogs doing what they wanted and anyway it wasn’t my garden but next door’s and walked off.  A couple of weeks later I saw him from the bedroom window letting his dogs over my lawn and knocked on the window.  He gave me the two fingered salute, waited for his dogs to finish what they were doing and then walked off.  He glares at me every time he passes now. 

The smell today was so sickening and I was so mad I rushed into town to buy a large packet of ground white pepper which is now sprinkled heavily on lawn and borders.  Will that have the desired effect and does  anyone have any other ideas what to do with this cretin and muts.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: cretin from up the road
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 23:09:06 »
Hi Lottie,
What an ignorant man.  There is ,deterant? on the market it is called RENADINE, works very well but a little expensive it does the job though.  The only thing is it must not touch any plants i tied a piece of torn rag a "strip"  to a stick dipped it in the can & poked the stick in the ground or you can tie it to a fence near where the dogs come onto the grass i would put 2/3 in a discreet place so the ignoramous cannot see it. Good luck with the pepper hope it works it will save you money.  You can only get the stuff from garden centres never looked in B&Q mind you they are expensive.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 23:12:42 »
No fence we are open plan.  Waiting to see the effects of pepper.  Had probs with cats in back at one time and no ground white pepper so used curry powder.  Oh the pong lingered for ages.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 00:40:04 »
Many years a go a friend of mine had the same trouble.  Her solution was to collect said crap on shovel, followed the culprit to their house and rubbed it into their front door step.  They never had crap on their lawn after that.  In Swindon there's a £2000 fine for not picking up after your dog.  And if your court they enforce the fine.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:53:46 »
If it were me suffering with the same problem I'd try a deterrent too.

I would also do a little bit of information seeking to find out what I could legally do to stop the nuisance if it continues.

I'd want to know:
  • if I could take photographic evidence of the dog (performing) and its owner accompanying it.
  • if I could call the community police for help
  • if there was something else I could do to prevent the dog being allowed on my property
  • if there were local bi-laws prohibiting nuisance behaviour
  • if the local environmental health officer could help
I very much like the idea of a "collect and return" policy. A few shovels full dumped on the dog owners front-door might give him the motivation to stop his dog performing on other peoples lawns.

In my town, as in other peoples, there are on-the-spot fines. Your problem is that it is happening on private property.  :sad10:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 07:00:50 »
The same thing happened to my niece a few years ago. She collected & posted it through the letterbox because the owner wouldn't take any notice of her when she asked her to stop the dog.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:33:27 »
Renardine is no longer on the market. Jeye's Fluid is just as good.
Gardening is the great leveller.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:45:05 »
Someone told me this story: dogs constantly messing in his front garden - saved it up for a few days in newspaper - made a neat newspaper parcel, planted it on culprit's doorstep, set it on fire, rang the bell and disappeared. Culprit answered door, saw a little fire on doorstep, and tried to stamp it out.......

Sort of less messy than rubbing it all over his doorstep, cleaner to handle, and just as effective.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 11:53:42 »
All very amusing responses, but be very careful, they are all illegal and could lead to prosecution.
http://kb.keepbritaintidy.org/dogs/publications/guidedog.pdf

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 13:26:18 »
During the hot summer of 1976 I put all my washing up water on my flower beds.  I came out of the front door with a bowl full of dirty water and a dog was doing right in front of me with its owner standing on the pavement a few yards away, so I simply tipped the water straight over the dog. Never had any more poo problems at that house.

We also have a huge problem with it, but I never see the dog.  I believe the fines only apply to the street and not a private garden.   Though part of our front garden belongs to the street.  I do sometimes put up a sign which says: This garden has not been designated as a Dog Toilet.

I have a policy of reporting any droppings to the local authority and hence keep the street clean.  I even got poison pen letters about this.  I have a daughter in a wheel chair and it is horrible getting it out from the wheels. 

If I knew where to return the mess I would certainly return to sender.    I think someone near our house turns out the dog late in the evening.  If they do not want the poo in their garden I do not understand why they think I should want it in mine.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 17:07:43 »
my parents used to live on an open plan estate, they had trouble with a dog owner. He was amazed when parts  his front lawn died in the shape of a four letter word. A dark night and some sodium chlorate. Sorted.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 18:09:29 »
So very sorry to hear of your problem. Some of your fellow readers are quite terrible. We had a problem on the lottie with a bloke letting his dog though the gate and doing it's mess. I only found after mhter stepped in it and talking to others who said it was rgular and some had spoken only to be told to go away. I happend to see him one evenig and watched, he only lived 200 yards from a big field and the lottie but used the lottie. I collected it in a bag and wiped on the underside of his car door handle, obne of those pull out ones. No problems since. I have 2 dogs and I really get annoyed with irrespnsible owners. One even accused me of being anti dog when I challenged hhim, he was put in the rembrant toot sweet. I think though taking pictures discreetly in case he turns funny and posting them to the council along with his  address if you can may help. uck anyway

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 20:02:18 »
Stand by what I said, almost all of the actions advocated here could result in prosecution. So who wins then?

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 22:52:00 »
Stand by what I said, almost all of the actions advocated here could result in prosecution. So who wins then?

Thanks Palustris.  If you do succumb to retribution is this the best place to discuss it where any one can read.
We all feel the same it is just a matter of discretion.  :glasses9:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 22:54:41 »
As its dry get some good old fashioned itching powder and peppercorns and spread over the garden and wait.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 23:33:34 »
Someone told me this story: dogs constantly messing in his front garden - saved it up for a few days in newspaper - made a neat newspaper parcel, planted it on culprit's doorstep, set it on fire, rang the bell and disappeared. Culprit answered door, saw a little fire on doorstep, and tried to stamp it out.......

This made me laugh my socks of ,loved it  :headbang:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 07:23:43 »
1. It's against the law what he's doing and councils will fine the offenders
2. Photograph him doing it and report
3. Put up posters and name and shame
4. Stand there with a hose and dare him to let them nuts
3.As said the old nuts in a bag on a doorstep and set fire to trick.       :BangHead:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 10:09:39 »
Not a good idea to set fire to anything on someones doorstep.  Something could go wrong and it could set fire to the house.  As much as it is tempting, I would either save it all up then, on a dark evening, put it on his lawn or put it through his letterbox.  You would need to be 100% sure though that it is his house.

On the whole, dog owners in the UK are getting better at picking up after their dogs.  However, in France it seems people never bother.  When on a camping site last year, some French people on the opposite pitch let their dog out every morning.  It made for an adjoining pitch and did its business there.  They never bothered to pick it up.  I kept thinking "what if a family with a toddler came and set up camp on that pitch, it would be such a health hazzard".  The towns and villages we visited in France all had dogs muck on their pavements!    :hmh:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 13:40:00 »
We had our first dog in 1987 & she was trained to do her business in the gutter & I then took it home & binned it. Even when she went blind with diabetes she still went in the gutter. I was the only person in our village who did this & even now come dark nights there is always dog poo on the paths.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 14:18:28 »
My aunt has a dog in London were there were very hefty fines, so she trained the dog to do on newpaper and then flushed it down the loo. I also had a friend who trained their dog to use a dog toilet, and you just poured over a chemical afterwards.

I rather object to people who do not want poo in their own garden but somehow think that I might want it in mine.   

I agree with others I think that setting light to it is not acceptable. 

Found this amusing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/10098430/Spanish-town-posts-dog-mess-back-to-offending-hound-owners.html

Not sure in this country it is legal to send it in the post,   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal