Author Topic: Week 11 snapshot  (Read 2600 times)

terrace max

• Hectare
Week 11 snapshot
« on: March 08, 2005, 09:25:02 »
While this cold snap has held things up a bit, I'd be really interested to know what you guys have managed to get sown in your greenhouses, on your windowsills etc so far this season.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
Re: Week 11 snapshot
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:56:26 »
theres a sowing thread down the list somewhere.

But me - only sweet peas last week and first batch of lettuice about to be sown at some point soon.  Thats it.  Not a lot of window space, so have to wait for better weather.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 12:05:06 »
I've got modules with summer cabbages sown in them which I hope will pop up by this weekend, more modules with onion sets (it's still too soggy out on the lotties) and parsnips in loo roll middles (doing very well).  Leeks are being very slow to germinate.  Onion seed will get sown soon. Potatoes chitting happily, and both cloches and clear plastic have been put down on a couple of beds so I can plant early carrots in a week or so.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 17:51:01 »
The last couple of warmish days have really got me going, I even went up to the allotment today and had a bit of a tidy up. Celeriac, red cabbage, sweet peas, Okra and 3 or 4 kinds of capsicum will all be going into my new heated propagator (thanks Aldi) tonight.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 18:00:36 »
Ive got tomato seeds going now, in a heated propagator in the conservatory (too cold in the GH). In the same place are my sed potatoes chitting.

In the green house I have sweet peas, a few lettuce and some cabbages, plus a few random ornamentals (hebaceous perennials).

I hope it will be warm enough for them in the greenhouse, it still gets quite cold in there at night despite the heater.  :-\

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 18:25:36 »
A few weeks ago I'd sown spring onions (see piccy) Today I decided that I had a failed crop :-\ this has put me off sowing indoors, alas I may just try a small quantity of say cabbage, carrot, lettuce and onions to see if I can suck seed ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 18:34:34 »
Nothing wrong with those !  Maybe if you turn the tray around on the windowcill, they will turn around again.

I havn't even bought my seeding compost yet !  Will have to get cracking at the week end !

::) :-\
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 20:10:23 »
After 3 weeks of none germination of Tomato seeds in the cold greenhouse, I decided to bring them indoors and put the tray on the window sill.  Hey presto, within 3 days the seeds started to germinate and after 1 week they are all in seed. :D  My onion seeds - in the same tray, have also appeared.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 22:09:19 »
oooo yeah, tooo cold in an unheated greenhouse for toms, and I would say, too cold even in a heated one at the moment during the nights.  At last I have parsley up, along with toms, aubs, chillies, basil, leeks, spring onions and celery.  Happy days!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 22:31:05 »
Got a great south facing kitchen diner, pair of windows so nice and warm for germinating.  Got 4 lots of tomato's germinated, summer cabbage, asters,hollyhocks,catanache,coreopsis,penstamon,delphiniums, nicotiana and tomatillo's.  Some just germinated and most on their first true leaf.  Just moved the cabbage seedlings out to unheated but well insulated greenhouse with an extra layer of bubble wrap over the trays just for a few nights until they have acclimatised.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 22:40:03 »
EJ

What is the best method for getting celery to germinate. This is my first year growing celery, i have tried in the propergator,out the propergator with no success. I now have it out and am keeping the compost wet, two seeds have germinated but look very frail.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Have started tomatoes, peppers,aubergines, coriander, basil, lettuce, cabbage advantage F1, broccoli, chilli, acouple of early potatoes in big plant pots and sweetpeas.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 22:44:42 »
Um...well.....I scattered them on my sieved multipurpose compost (sieved only because it was a bit chunky this time), sieved a very fine layer of compost over the top, stood them in a tray of water until the surface was wet, then left them to it.  All my seeds are currently in my conservatory which is heated on the house central heating, also it is south facing so on sunny days (yeah righto) it is lovely and toasty in there, but no heating on over night so bbbrrrr but not frosty.  Brand new seed though, I don't know if this is the important factor or not.  Sometimes with me, tis luck rather than judgement!  :-\

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 23:32:05 »
Thanks for the quick repply. I maybe keeping them too warm and cosy then.

bethel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 22:50:50 »
I love sowing indoors then transfering to my workshop 18' x 12' to semi harden then end of April to sheltered end of Garden south facing.

Already have Chilli, Sweetcorn, Sprouts and Romanesco

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal