Author Topic: Do cabbage whites really explode after eating self-rising flour?  (Read 4464 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Is this an old wives tale that if self-rising flour is sprinkled on cabbage leaves the cabbage white larvae will ingest it then explode?  I bought some and applied it but we're having heavy rains now for 3 days so timing is "pour".
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I will be very interested to hear if this works.

Most people here use enviromesh, net curtains, or scaffolding netting to keep them off. 

We do have a small wasp who lays their eggs in caterpillars and then they sort of explode, unfortunately it waits until the caterpillar are good and fat with cabbage first.  But I suppose they never live to lay more eggs.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
I'm going to give this a go. I'm thinking that the theory behind it might be that the baking powder in SR flour will gas in the caterpillars' gut faster than they can expel it, so I'll use baking powder instead. I have my doubts and it probably wouldn't be economically effective if it did work but at least it would be a humorous way to kill caterpillars instead of a beneath the boot crushing or being torn apart by my fish.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Never heard of this method!

Personally I would never consider it simply because it is likely that the flour will be blown of 'dry' leaves and 'stick' to wet leaves and block the pores on the leaves which is not a good thing.

Why don't you try a typical animal technique and spread your mark in the form an odour trail to tell the tresspassing insects / animals to keep off.

I use Armillatox at planting out time as my 'marker' as it is quite "smelly"( It has a Jeye's fluid smell)

I find this seems to keep away Cabbage root fly, Cabbage whites and as a bonus, it is said to deter club root!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
I'll have to read up on Armillotox which sounds interesting. I don't have a large number of cabbage plants to protect which may make it unreasonable cost-wise.
Meanwhile, if we'd stop having pouring rain every day I'd be able to give a report on the flour. It has been monsoon-ish. This morning was another down-pour which made it so dark we commented it was almost like nightfall.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Armillatox was first brought out for honey fungus by Mrs.V.Bray but has since been found good for club root and many other fungal problems , the main thing is now that it no longer approved as a soil sterilant and should only be used on paths. (If you obey the rules)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
When it was reclassified as a ' garden cleaner' i checked up with the manufacturers about any change in specification and was advised there had been no change in specification, meaning it could still be construed as a fungicide ( if you ignore the rules)

As I mentioned in my previous post I think the smell plays a major part in its properties.

That is; as some insects are attracted to a plant by its smell i also think the reverse can be true hence my use of Armillatox.

Regarding the expense of the product i find a bottle lasts me a few years and I have been known to share the product and its cost with fellow plot holders, so GA you might want to consider that option.

Over the years I have purchased products for root fly,club root and caterpillars and none seem to work as well as Armillatox so I guess it could be said it is value for money.

But I guess in the end;  it is each to there own!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
I'm still giving the self-rising flour a try. Haven't seen any caterpillars lately though something is eating holes in the leaves. Might be slugs. Today we're having some showers which means I'll have to reapply the flour which is the obvious downside, even if it works.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Had reasonable success last year with a salt-baking powder-detergent spray (diluted) applied once a week or twice a week at the height of the infestation period (around august - september).

A kind of three pronged assault. Brassica oleracea is originally a seaside plant so can take a little salt without harm unlike many plants. Cabbage white caterpilars on the other hand soon end up desiccated after a spray or two with this mix. :happy7:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 21:26:28 by ed dibbles »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal