Author Topic: Strawberry Wine  (Read 9442 times)

French-Dream

• Half Acre
Strawberry Wine
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:59:46 »
With two large strawberry beds on our new plot I've decided to make the odd gall of wine..

3lbs of strawbs.
2lbs of sugar.
tps of citric acid.
yeast.

Wash the strawbs, pop into a small bucket, add sugar & citric acid, pour over 5 pints of boiling water & mash with large spoon. Cover bucket and let it cool to 28/30 c....add yeast and cover for 5 days.
After 5 days strain of liquid into DJ, make up to a gall, airlock in and leave in the corner of the kitchen.
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
Re: Strawberry Wine
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 14:16:01 »
How much citric acid,and how much yeast ?
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 19:39:36 »
Sorry....sorry...sorry...that's what I get for posting while in a rush..

2 tsps of citric acid.
1 tsp   of wine yeast

and if you have any yeast  nutrient a tsp of that.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:29:07 »

Wine now in a DJ....

So many strawberries I've started a 2nd gall with golden raisins.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:57:24 »
Does the room have to be at a certain temperature ? my kitchen is about 7c at night but warmer during the day.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 06:40:07 »
Does the room have to be at a certain temperature ? my kitchen is about 7c at night but warmer during the day.

This is one of the main problems with brewing wine & beer,  temperature fluctuations has an influence on the yeast. Now the big boys can control this, but for us lesser mortals  :happy7: we have to make & do. All my wines while in the DJ's stay up the corner of the kitchen out of the way and they workout just fine. So don't worry about it, make some wine   :drunken_smilie:

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 03:43:04 »
Just for the record there is a way to control a ferment temp-wise and can be very useful in houses lacking central heating or good insulation. A water bath for the demijohns with a submersible aquarium heater. A small heater is only about £8.

RenewableCandy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 21:53:54 »
Looks a lovely colour! Are you sure you don't want to top-up and not have so much airspace there though? (notices age of topic)...I wonder how that's getting on?

Azada_Monkey

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 16:31:52 »
Best to let some fresh strawberries sit in the finished wine for a week or two before you let it settle again and/or bottle, this is due to the delicate aromatic chain that gets damaged by the unavoidable brewing process itself and can be recovered by simply letting a few fresh fruit have their aromatic chain leached out by the alcohol already present in the wine.

It will smell and taste good if you try this with ripe fruits (large handful per DJ).

Happy winemaking!

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 14:31:30 »

Sorry for not keeping up with this post folks...it turned out brill....in fact we had a couple of bottles only last week. It has a light sparkle too it that danced over your tongue... :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 13:49:16 »
It looks a brilliant colour and I will certainly be making some next year! Do you know, out of curiosity what the alchoholic content might be?  :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 18:27:33 »

Hi...I didn't bother at the time to check the ABV...my wines finish around 10% maybe 12% I know a few glass's will make you feel squiffy.. :drunken_smilie:

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 13:31:33 »
great recipe - noted for this summer
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 06:03:05 »
Strawberry wine is great.  I make one or two gallons every year and keep a few frozen strawberries to make trifles at Christmas (with the strawberry wine replacing the more usual sweet sherry).  Not that we get much ourselves,  family and friends descend on it like plagues of starving locusts.  However many bowls we make, it just vanishes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal