Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2281 times)

newallotmant

• Not So New ...
« on: June 29, 2013, 21:33:28 »
I took on my allotment 4 weeks ago. I have no idea what I can plant now. I've rotavated the ground and dug in fertilizer to prepare the land.

I have some peas I was told I could plant inside to start with. Butwhat else can I plant please?

Thanks

Susi

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 21:56:41 »
Sow some cabbages in compost pots for winter cabbage.

Lettuce, swede, raddish

Good look on your new plot. Where in the country are u?

newallotmant

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 22:20:46 »
I'm in Hastings.I only waited a couple months to get my allotment. It was a mess. Litter everywhere, weeds and soooo overgrown.

I have a couple of bushes I have no idea what they are, so when it's harvest for them then it'll be fun :icon_thumleft:

I will definitely plant cabbage etc.

Thank you :)

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:22:22 »
Well done on getting a plot....now the fun (Hard Work) starts.. :icon_cheers: you could sow beetroot...nip into your local plant center and see what they have left over. On our allotments folks who have spare plants (free) leave them by the notice board.
If you post a photo of the bushes someone will let you know what they are. :wave:
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

newallotmant

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:46:02 »
Wow beetroot, I though I was much to late for that.  :hello2:

I have a few plants at home I plan to take over, tomatoes,chilli peppers etc. I will certainly see if I can do a deal with my local garden center as well. There a little independent and I know they had a glut of veg and herbs.

I'm actually planning to cheat, I'm hiring a rotator and my dad. He's informed me that he's taking on my allotment with me  :blob7:

I would love to attach the pictures of the bushes ifi had a clue how to do it. I'm not techybat all, even basic stuff goes over my head.

Susi

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 08:51:37 »
Get yourself over to this site for info on what to plant and when you can plant it....theres HEAPS of info on the various pages....enjoy and congrats on the new plot...
http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/Moon_Planting.asp
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 09:11:03 »
Certainly beetroot.   I was advised on this forum to sow some where I had harvested my onions a few years ago (well into July) and I had a great crop.  They were not huge but I had lots small ones.  You do need to check on the watering situation if we have any really hot weather.  So now as soon as the onions come out the beetroot go in.  I think I might try starting some in modules so they get going a little bit earlier.   Then they can go in when I have cleared a space for them.

Most of the seed companies recommend sowing to end of July. 

I am currently eating the thinnings of seeds sown in April some are already well past golf ball size, so they are quite fast.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 16:23:32 »
There's one broad bean variety you can plant now for an autumn crop, Luz do Otono from Sutton's Seeds http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Seeds/All+Vegetable+Seeds/Broad+Bean+Luz+De+Otono_194118.htm . Then there are quite a few brassicas you plant in late summer or early autumn for a crop next year. Come September, you can plant overwintering onions.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 10:34:06 »
French beans, I still have to make my late sowings of that, beetroot, and I am still sowing late carrots (autumn king). Turnips? need plenty of water though. Black (winter) radish.
All the salad stuff like rocket, lettuce, mizuna etc. Coriander comes up pretty quickly. Lamb's lettuce soon.
Swiss chard and leaf beet for greens
I also have only just sown late cucumber and courgettes to get those through to the frosts. You will get less fruit but still get some probably.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal