Produce > Edible Plants

Carrots

<< < (2/5) > >>

budgiebreeder:
I do that with all my smallest seeds Steve using an old flour shaker thingy sometimes.

Steve__C:
BB, personally only ever done it with carrots... I put sand and seed in a plastic bag, have a quick shake and then cut the corner allowing a fine line to drop down into the drill. But will try for other varieties this season. I always spend so much time thining out.

Phil, I have seen it suggested that seeds can be added to a water retaining gel. Perhaps this may help with your original germination problems where the seeds were drying out.
What about pre-germination in the gel, in the warmth, before sowing outside?  Thereby reducing the two week critical watering time that you mention.

Mrs Ava:
I am so impatient with carrots and start pulling them when they are still tiny, altho yummy!  I am not a straight line gardener and tend rather than have a drill, more of a channel and scatter the seeds within this channel, which I cover, water and so on.  I get good germination and use thinnings as raw, next lot as babies to cook and so on.  Eventually there is plenty of space for the last to get nice and big.  This was my bestest ever year for carrots, but I had encorporated loads and loads of compost into the ground and left it very soft and removed every single stone it was practical to remove, and there were bucket fulls!  

tim:
Can't argue with a method that works, but a general teaching is to water thoroughly before sowing - this avoids panning. = Tim

mysticmog:
Excuse my ignorance but what's panning?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version