Produce > Drink ....

Elderflower Cordial Recipe

(1/1)

gazza1960:
well im afraid after asking and getting told Stevia would be a suitable replacement for natural sugar I then asked my Diabetic Nurse who advised
that due to the current water tablets I take that Stevia can be a Diaretic and can cause issues with my stability,and believe me it is a right pain to
get your meds correct so not to bore you any further this recipe does not contain stevia..... :tongue3:

I ended up sticking to the tried and tested formula but lessened the sugar amount by half and have still found the sweetness to be ok for my taste.

1 kg natural sugar(original recipe asked for 2.5kg)
40 heads of Elderflower Petals (this is doubled from the original recipe and makes for a more intense flavour...it = 60grms approx
3 pints of water
1 Tsp of citric acid (optional,but I find it helps keep better as I prefer to fridge mine and don't freeze it)
2 sliced Oranges
2 sliced Lemons

once ive collected the elderflower heads I wash any and all insect and loose pieces off and once shaken dry
I shake the flower petals from the green stems as these add a bitter taste that we don't want(chew on a stem and youll see
what I mean).... :BangHead:

I use a large pot that allows you to heat the water and sugar together to make a syrup.

I prefer to cool the resulting syrup then add the elderflower  petals , oranges, lemons, and citric acid.

Give this a good stir and place the lid on and leave for 24 hours (give it a stir once in a while.)

as I mentioned the Citric Acid is optional.............................its just a preservative that some do or don't add.!!!!!

After 24 hours I strain the whole pot through a large piece of muslin cloth, it is at this point you can add extra citrous flavour by squeezing
the sliced oranges and lemon pieces into the cordial or if you prefer a more elderflower taste just bottle it as is..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 x 2 pint glass bottles lasts about a month in the fridge.

I enjoy it with a large glass of lemonade on ice with a twist of mint.

Enjoy

Gazza

Please add your alternative recipes as im sure there are plenty of options.

okra:
Thanks Gazza will give it a try  :sunny:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version