Author Topic: My poor gooseberry bush!  (Read 2158 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
My poor gooseberry bush!
« on: June 22, 2013, 00:27:40 »
In just a few days my loaded gooseberry bush has been denuded by what I imagine is the sawfly (a dark brown/black caterpillar type beastie). As can be seen in the photos the branches are loaded with fruit but they are still very hard. Will they still ripen? - or if I harvest them now what can they be used for?

Tricia

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 00:29:45 by tricia »

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: My poor gooseberry bush!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 19:11:05 »
Is that invicta? I have three and have picked one bush so far, the others will be picked in a week or two. They will still ripen but must not be short of water. I have frozen mine and they make marvellous sauce for going with mackerel, or gooseberry crumbles, pie or fool

Re the sawfly, try a good prune, starting this summer by taking off side shoots 5 leaves away from the main shoots, later prune to get an 8 inch leg and an open goblet shape. The sawflies will have no where to hide and the bush will produce masses of fruit. I feed mine with comfrey now and then, or a potash feed

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 22:12:48 »
tricia,
You could be in for a rough ride - sorry. If it aint sawfly it will be milldew. Dig 'em up/ prepare a well prepared new bed/new stock where the roots won't be disturbed & try again.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 23:33:47 »
strawberry - thanks for that. Yes, I think it is an Invicta, about 5 or 6 years old. I've Googled RHS and they suggest harvesting every other one now and using for jam etc., and let the rest ripen. I used the last of the 2012 gooseberries from the freezer today and my friend will pick some for me to freeze next week. The bush will get pruned after harvesting and again in winter and I'll see what happens next year. There is no chance it doesn't get enough water b.t.w! It's been raining on and off all day again!

telboy - I'm not quite such a pessimist. It will get a chance to fruit next year. If it doesn't then it will just have to die, but it won't be replaced. I'm no longer able to do the kind of  work you suggest so it's just as well my garden is small enough for me to cope with no-dig raised beds and fruit trees.

Tricia

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 07:39:00 »
I saw your post and had to reply to it. The same thing happened to our Gooseberries years ago and someone on here told me to put my rhubarb leaves under the bushes. Since then I haven't had one attack. Everytime I pick rhubarb the leaves go under the bushes. If its Invictor then it is mildew resistant
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:47:55 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

petefj

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:24:04 »
The same thing happened to my gooseberry bushes last year.

The first thing I did was to spray with "Provado" a spray that kills sawfly beetle and give some lasting protection.  I then pruned the bush into a wine glass shape to open the bush up to the air.  I also put rhubarb leaves under the bush.  I don't know if the latter does work but I was prepared to try anything.  And last autumn  I dug the ground up around the bush, very lightly, so that the birds could to get to the overwintering bugs.
And this year I sprayed with "Provado" up to the maximum of three times.  The spray is OK up to 3 days prior to harvesting, and I'm not ready for that as yet.

So far so good.  I find that gooseberry takes a bit of managing, but so far I've not seen any sign of sawfly yet.  You do need to keep an eye on the bush and react the moment you see any sign of infestation.  Try knocking the branches of the bush lightly and watch if anything like a caterpillar drops off.  If it does, BINGO!

Best of luck,

Peter :coffee2:
If you can keep your head, whilst those around you are losing theirs,
you obviously don't realise the full horror of your situation.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 13:49:54 »
Shirl - The ground under and around the gooseberry bush has been covered with rhubarb leaves since the first rhubarb pickings - didn't make any difference at all  :BangHead:. Pete - I will try to remember to spray with Provado in early Spring then twice more at intervals to see if that keeps the blighters off!

Tricia  :wave:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 13:48:26 »
This happened to mine last year and I still was able to pick the fruit, they were just smaller than usual. I left the bushes, trimmed them a little this winter and fertilized them; This year they seem OK and are full of fruit...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal