Author Topic: Voles .... help!  (Read 3159 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Voles .... help!
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:31:36 »
I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and knows of any kind of solution.

I've got voles, tons of field voles living on my plot (and presumably in the surrounding areas too) - I know they're voles because I've seen them (I'm actually petrified of chopping one in half when I dig)

The allotment was covered with carpet and other cover prior to being prepared for growing and I'm sure they used to live under there.  But as I've cleared most of the plot - there's very little cover for them and this has coincided with them starting to tunnel around in the worked soil - usually just under the surface.

The problem is that their tunnels go just under newly sown rows of seedlings and freshly planted out plants and it's killing a lot of what I'm trying to grow.  I don't think they're actually eating the roots - just ploughing them up.  They didn't even touch any of my sown peas.  It's got a lot worse in the past few weeks.

Anyone know how to get rid of these resident rodents?  Preferably humane - but if necessary I would use traps but have no idea where I'd put them or what would be a good bait.

Thanks

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Voles .... help!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:35:04 »
Kestrels and girl thingy cats.

Clear out your compost bin.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:06:19 »
Already got kestrels above the plot, but obviously they are getting enough to eat!  The allotment site is in the middle of the countryside and I've never seen a cat there.

As for the compost bin ... I haven't got one at the moment  :tongue3:

I was thinking of making a kind of trap by sinking a bucket with drainage holes in it in to the ground and putting some kind of bait inside that would be too tempting for them to not jump in for and then take them out for a ride in the car somewhere else.  Maybe that's just wishful thinking though.

Floyds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 19:50:38 »
I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and knows of any kind of solution.

I've got voles, tons of field voles living on my plot (and presumably in the surrounding areas too) - I know they're voles because I've seen them (I'm actually petrified of chopping one in half when I dig)

The allotment was covered with carpet and other cover prior to being prepared for growing and I'm sure they used to live under there.  But as I've cleared most of the plot - there's very little cover for them and this has coincided with them starting to tunnel around in the worked soil - usually just under the surface.

The problem is that their tunnels go just under newly sown rows of seedlings and freshly planted out plants and it's killing a lot of what I'm trying to grow.  I don't think they're actually eating the roots - just ploughing them up.  They didn't even touch any of my sown peas.  It's got a lot worse in the past few weeks.

Anyone know how to get rid of these resident rodents?  Preferably humane - but if necessary I would use traps but have no idea where I'd put them or what would be a good bait.

Thanks

That's a very interesting post because most people reckon that voles will eat peas, apart from me that is.
However I've caught voles in mouse traps using good ol' cheese as bait but you may need to do it over time to get rid of the breeding adults. Other than that you could dig a trench around the area and sink some fine mesh wire into the ground. Good luck.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 19:20:52 »

Thanks
[/quote]http://www.pitcherplant.com/diseas/voles.htmlhttp://www.pitcherplant.com/diseas/voles.html
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 20:01:14 »
Underneath carpets would be a typical place for field voles to nest. They like thick cover, so a large part of the answer will be to clear the plot! If they're still a nuisance, which they might be if you have cover available nearby, try trapping.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 20:06:11 »
I think that's the answer ultimately Robert!  They definitely use the carpets as a base and make daily sorties in to my dug beds with the plants in.

I'm getting there - only about 1/5 of the plot left to do ... I'm just more concerned with looking after the bits that have been cleared and contain plants now and haven't done any digging for a month or so. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal