Author Topic: And the first crop is -  (Read 2086 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
And the first crop is -
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:21:39 »
Apart from lettuce, my first spring crops of the year is Sticcoli (a variety of broccoli).   Planted as little plants (inch square modules) just over 5 weeks ago it is now ready for first picking.  I will cover it with a cheese and cayenne pepper sauce.   Very little cheese.    :icon_cheers:

Then apparently you feed them and you get more and more.   

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: And the first crop is -
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:49:01 »
Congratulations Digeroo. Enjoy muchly :icon_cheers:.

patchworkperson

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 20:02:36 »
Sounds delish!!
Geri
Milton Keynes, Bucks

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 23:16:08 »
Sounds interesting - I love broccoli but the normal size plant would take up too much space in my small garden. How much space does the Sticcoli take Digeroo? It would be good to hear if it really does produce sufficient side shoots to make it a worth while venture next year.

Tricia

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 00:53:53 »
Sounds great.
Today I picked my first Kale plant  I pre-cooked some mincemeat combined it with a couple of early onions and garlic and a few flakes of last years dried chillis.     
The cleaned and roughly chopped kale was added a couple of minutes before scoffing the lot and having to make my son a bacon butty.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 00:55:33 »
Had the first crop of green beans this year.... next year I must remember to make at least two sowings of Speedie.... though if I run out before the Cobras start I can go back to the frozen ones from last year I guess... started in small modules in Late February/early March in the hotbed, planted out into a trough about mid April and picking at the start of June.... and the first of the finger carrots from deep pots too, and over-wintered onions... a couple were looking a bit wilty adn I correctly guessed that white rot had got to them... rest of the crop looks OK, adn it had only affected the outside layer.... Having been so behind cos of the weather I did start a load of what I consider "outdoor" crops off in the GH and kept them there.. result is the earliest salads radishes (which worked really well) carrots and beans I've ever had...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 05:30:33 »
Some of my Winter onions are ready, Rhubarb is my only other crop I've harvested but the spuds are nearly there.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:05 »
Grew it last year and was very pleased, it produced about three crops and then suddenly died.  I am told that if I feed it more this may not happen. 

They are not small particularly plants.  After only 5+ weeks they are 18 inches high (500mm) and planted 15 inches apart was far too close and they have been touching for some time now.  Probably need two feet.   They grow like Topsy.

They have been well fed but will get some more after each picking as per my advice from plants man.

For small broccoli have you tried Kabuki they are smaller plants and do produce repeat pickings? They seem to produce more broccoli and less leaf.   Not quite as speedy as Sticcoli.

I have forgotten my overwinter onions they have got smothered in goose grass while I was on hols. :BangHead:

Love the sound of your beans Chris, I must get some sown earlier next year.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 07:26:26 »
Congratulations all - some super early crops.   :blob7:  We are enjoying mangetouts, apart from chard and lettuce and other salad greens.  There are flower buds on the early potatoes -  firkling soon  :wave:

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:19:22 »
Courgette...well surprised for here too...(apart from salad stuff lettuce, radish, chard) have been drinking peppermint tea for the last couple of weeks fresh from the garden...
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:28:00 »
Heavens, perhaps our weather has been better than i thought! I have just started the early spuds but we have already been eating rhubarb, strawberries, lettuce, mizuna, swiss chard and the globe artichokes!!! And we had some sprouting broccoli in April.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:55 »
Late last summer I bought a pack of purple sprouting seedlings which were reduced at a garden centre and planted them up in a net cage.  The plants are now about 2-3ft high and I have been picking the sprouting since the beginning of April.  I have to wait about two weeks in between pickings but they really are worth waiting for.  Delicious  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal