Author Topic: Gladioli  (Read 2647 times)

Han

• Quarter Acre
Gladioli
« on: June 06, 2013, 15:47:54 »
Hi all!

Last year I bought some Gladioli bulbs and they performed well. End of season I digged up the bulbs and stored them. This year I planted the bulbs again but......when I got the bulbs out I left the little white bulbs on the main bulb and planted it again this year like it was: the main bulb plus all the little white bulbs. At this moment it look like a family: the main bulb with a lot of smaller ones around it. How should I do this at the end of the season when I will dig them up again? Can I expect flowers this year or not? Please advise me........:-)

Han

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Gladioli
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 16:39:57 »
The small ones are cormlets or as some people call them, gladioli spawn.

These can be grown on to form larger corms in a few years time!

This link might help;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Gladioli/Gladiolus.htm

Han

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 18:52:22 »
Thanks for your help! The link is very clear and even understandable for an amateur like me! :-)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 20:30:38 »
Dont know if its in TeeGees almanac but if you want to remove the side growth and just leave the main one then you simply follow the shoot down to the corn and snap it off downwards at the corn
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Han

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 20:41:34 »
Thanks Davyw for your reply!

I would like to keep the cromlets so I you agree I will let them ir their place to grow. End of season I will take all the bulbs out and separte the youngers from the mature ones. Does that make sense or do I make a mistake in the way that I am thinking?

Han

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 21:32:43 »
Yes i understand it was just pointing out that if you you just wanted a single stem that is how to remove the other shoots
If you have to support them with a stake dont use string or such like use old nylons or the legs of tights as these will stretch and allow some movement in the wind and avoid it snapping

DAVY

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 22:35:57 »
Personally I don't think that procedure is really necessary Dave as effectively each of the growths are seperate plants as they are each coming from a different corm, albeit, the corms are of differing sizes.

But what I would say is; do not let the smaller growths flower as this will take the strength from the developing corm/ s.

In terms of support, because I grow 80+ plants in a bed I use horizontal wire mesh  formed of 100mm (4") sections and allow the plants to grow through the individual mesh sections.

Like you describe this gives the plants a little space to sway in the breeze / wind like your method does!

As always we all have our own methods of doing things to suit the situation so I guess it all boils down to how many plants you grow.

I used the same method of support for  Chrysants & Dahlias when I used to exhibit them.

I hope I haven't confused you Han I was just comparing notes with Dave

Han

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 09:24:05 »
Thanks Tee Gee!
I would love to grow a lot of Gladioli. Last year I started with approx 40 bulbs. Lots of space in the walled garden and as a Dutchman I love the Gladioli! The more the better! The horizontal mesh wire is a good idea. How high above the soil do you have the wire?

Han

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 19:42:52 »
I sat thinking why i added to this thread TeeGee i have never grown a bunch of Gladioli ever.I have only ever let one spike grow and it stands next to a veg that will hopefully get me 20 points, Oh how i dream LOL

DAVY

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 20:11:43 »

I sat thinking why i added to this thread TeeGee

As always Dave you were trying to help!

How high above the soil do you have the wire?

A lot depends upon what varieties you are growing when you consider Primulinus varieties  will grow to 600 mm (2ft) high whereas large hybrids can grow to around 1.2m+(4ft+)

I tend to work on keeping the wire at about half the final height.

If growing plants of varying heights it is best to plant the tallest at one end of the bed and the shortest at the other. Then in this way you can fix the mesh in a sloping manner, although there is nothing to say that you cannot use a " wavy" form.

This is an early season picture of how I do it!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 22:06:39 »
Unfortunately i dont have the room, I have 30 set away at intervals to try and hit three shows. I dont enter into the flower section. On the schedule is one Gladioli and one veg so thats my entry. I have them in a raised bed enclosed by netting but as they say its on the day. If i can get one from ten then i will be happy.
I am that pushed for room i am growing my show French beens (climbing and dwarf in an old GH started dismanteling to keep them out of the wind. And i have to show a photo of where i am growing my Cobra.
Never got into flowers and yet in the village we have Paul Harmer who is always up the top at Harrogate with Ivor Mace (carnations) (you put some of his stands on last year). John Peece a gold at Chelsea and Harrogate Jeff Craggs who beat the the nationls champion at Doncaster (Chrysanths) we have coffe together every morning and i am the only one that cant grow flowers. Well apart from Cauliflowers

DAVY

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 22:34:21 »
On the schedule is one Gladioli

Reminds me of a show I entered a few years ago and I got an NAS ( not as schedule)

To explain; I read the schedule as 'Gladioli'  ( plural) and not ' Gladiolus' ( singular) so I put in a vase of three spikes to cover the plural aspect,and I should have only put in ONE spike!

Hence the NAS!

I only mention this because what you put "On the schedule is one Gladioli" should read "one Gladiolus".

Just thought I would point out how an ambiguous schedule can mislead people.

BTW best of luck with your shows!

Han

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 06:57:31 »
Thanks for the picture! It shows clearly how you did it. Good idea. At this moment they are too large already but it is definetely something for next year!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal