Author Topic: soft fruit  (Read 1884 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
soft fruit
« on: May 29, 2013, 19:36:56 »
How are peoples fruit bushes looking? Looks like we are going to have a bumper crop of gooseberries, red/blk currents and the strawbs are looking ok so far. Rasberries should be good to

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: soft fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 20:03:59 »
White/red and blackcurrants look great, raspberries, strawberries, tayberry and goosegogs look promising. In fact, all the fruit looks great  :toothy10:

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 20:37:52 »
all my soft fruit look very laden this year, so hoping for a bumper crop.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:26:34 »
All soft fruit bushes are looking very promising here :icon_cheers:
Last year I had almost total lack of fruit from trees and this year..they too look promising  :icon_cheers: I thinned my peaches only other day and still there is more left to grow than we are able to eat :icon_cheers:
If the apple pollination work out fine..I'm very happy bunny and any veg will be just bonus for the year :icon_cheers:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:04:52 »
I gave one of my cockerels free rein of the garden and he took a liking to the developing gooseberries. Fortunately, he didn't eat them all but he is now confined to a pen.  Looks like I will still have a bumper crop and the blackcurrants are also laden. 

Strawberry flowers are the best I have ever seen them and there are a lot of flower buds on the raspberries. 

I am sure it will be a good year but I think I will have to net everything as we have so many blackbirds where the soft fruit is.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:40 »
Fingers crossed so far looking very promising.   Loads of flowers on the strawberries, autumn raspberries growing very tall.  Loads of fruits on the currants and gooseberries.   Raspberry valentina looking good there was a single rather brave bee out yesterday.

Just holding my breathe to see if the apples have set.   We had a small crop last year on the leeward side of the tree.   It flowered its socks off this year it was a huge pink dome.

Some of the smaller fruits of the red currant have suddenly disappeared.  And some of the summer raspberries have died back.    And something is stripping the leaves and fruit from the jostaberry.  My new grapevine has just broken into first very small leaves.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 21:21:45 »
All mine looks good so far, big set on the blackcurrants and gooseberries, the summer raspberries are looking very good, strawbs are flowering away happily, a lot of stuff that has been in pots a year (various yellow raspberries, currants and gooseberries have got some flowers/fruit on which will make it easier to work out what they are cos the labels have worn to unreadable :-)... should laso get some cherries as both the sweet and the morello have set some fruit, even some of the ratehr better fruit trees I bought in the autumn and potted in my verandah have flowered a bit (almond and apricot) so I might well get a few of them too... finger's crossed for epic jam and booze making sessions later this year... I fancy blackcurrant brandy for starters....

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 14:09:32 »
Yes, here too, loads of flowers on the strawbs and rasps and the gooseberry bush is full (eerugh hope i don't get sawfly like last year). I have had very good rhubarb too.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 16:28:50 »
hope i don't get sawfly like last year
  Have you tried spreading the rhubarb leaves under the plant?   

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 20:51:36 »
yep, everything looking pretty good, especially the redcurrants which look like they are going to have a huge harvest. Already hand picked a bunch of sawfly off the gooseberries and left them on the bird table. First year I've seen anything promising on the Jostaberry.
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal