Author Topic: lawn mowings  (Read 2106 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
lawn mowings
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:12:07 »
I have got so many of these I have had to pile them together in one heap.  I used as many as possible for mulching etc..   The heap, will I know, become slimy but if I leave them long enough will they become something more like compost?  Anyone had experience of this sort of thing?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: lawn mowings
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:14 »
Slimy 'hill' will eventually dry out and turn something more 'earthy'..but it will take long time and depending of the conditions during the process it all may turn into 'rock cake' or something else too.
If you have something more course to mix in with the clippings or layering with...cardboard, scrunched up news paper, straw etc..it will all help to soak up the excess moisture that turn the grass pile slimy and instead you end up with something that will eventually turn more compost like and is more useable sooner rather than later.
Your other option is to keep turning  and fluffing up the grass pile that instead of sliming up it will dry out and turn more of 'hay like' mixture. It is much more pleasant to store, use and more useful that  spoiled heap of grass.
Have you got spare piece of ground that you could dig to turn it into grass pit? You need 1 sq metre..dig it deep and layer the grass with the soil in the pit..it will be heaven for the worms and result very nice and fertile growing spot for many things, particularly if you carry on building the 'pit' onto a tall heap..covering it up once built...let it rot down on its own time. Next spring take the covers off and you have most perfect pumpkin/squash growing spot :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:28:55 by goodlife »

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:43:51 »
Assuming it isn't full of weed seed,   you could use it as mulch round veg.  i use it in this way, a thick layer on the potatoes, continuing as they grow;  along the side of the line of raspberries; around the tomatoes; in fact anything that you want to mulch.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 14:37:59 »
I try and catch them while hot and before the slimy stage and use as mulch, the heat kills the weeds you just need to keep off the stem/leaves of the target plant.   I have had large amounts of clipping full of dandelion seeds and they do not come back.   I just put a very slimy batch round my brassicas.

If they really go slimy, then I dig a hole and fill with the slimy mess and stick a courgette on top.

Otherwise spread the slimy mess over next years bean areas in the Autumn and it will be ready for planting in the spring.   

My OH creates lots of slimy grass clippings, the plants do not mind one little bit.  It can be very slippery when you tread on it so best kept away from paths.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 17:32:50 »
If you can get hold of shredded paper, in a roughly equal volume to the grass clippings, and mix the two together, they will privide a lovely compost by the end of the year. You will need a compost bin with sides to stop bits of paper blowing away
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 19:39:26 »
Thanks for all the replies.  As I said I am using as many as possible for mulching.  I have plenty of cardboard so will use that idea.   The present pile I will leave as long as possible.
I like the idea of a grass pit.  I have a piece of ground in complete shade behind my shed which I can use.
So thanks again for the ideas.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 20:22:19 »
I put all my clippings in my compost bin in layers.  Between layers I put cardboard from cereal boxes,  a thin layer of manure, shredded paper and veg waste from home.  I repeat this layer technique until all the grass cuttings are in the bin. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 19:35:18 »
I use them as mulch. Fresh ones get slimy in wet weather, but soon dry out. How slimy a pile gets depends entirely on how wet it is; they can be quite dry.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal