Author Topic: Courgettes sown  (Read 2331 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Courgettes sown
« on: May 18, 2013, 12:14:49 »
 :icon_cheers: Hands up who's overdone the sowing!

My selection of courgettes sown, they are still small and in pots growing on in the poly-tunnel (except for green bush) and I’m hoping the weather is going to settle and warm up a bit so I can get planting!

Zephyr F1, grew these last year quite a nice taste and very pretty.
Trieste White, love these.
Rugosa Friulana, take a bit longer to crop but worth it.
White Courgette X (open pollinated Trieste White and White Volunteer - hopefully!)
All Green Bush, for an earlier crop in the poly-tunnel.
And Kamo Kamo, although not a courgette I think it’s used more like one or a marrow?

White Volunteer didn’t germinate, hoping to re-sow but have enough plants already!

Looks like I've sown too many again  :drunken_smilie: 
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Courgettes sown
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 15:22:49 »
I have one very strong Parthenon, two Cavilli and two Rugosa Friulana which are taking a bit longer to get going although all were potted from chitted seeds at the same time on 20. April. The Parthenon will have to be planted out under a cloche soon, but the others can wait a week or two.

Tricia

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 15:26:44 »
I sowed 6 seeds but only 1 germinated from last years seed. It'll do for us this year as most were supplements for my hens as a treat anyway.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 16:03:01 »
 :icon_cheers:
I've sown about 2 dozen 'Italian striped' courgette seeds, few green patty pan types and few some other sort courgettes (memory is not working at the moment :BangHead:). Personally I only need 4 plants at the most..I'm only one that eats courgettes in our household and what I cannot get through goes for the girls...usually most of the crop as I cannot keep up with them all.
Every year people ask if I have any spare plants...so...now that I've sown plenty without any actual 'orders in', it will be interesting to see if its me who end up growing them all :drunken_smilie:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 16:44:47 »
Good to know that the girls can have spares :icon_cheers:.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 18:33:10 »
And Kamo Kamo, although not a courgette I think it’s used more like one or a marrow?

Kamo Kamo is more like a pumpkin or winter squash - keeps well hard outside shell.  Produces a lot of fruit.  If you leave any of the fruits they self sow well.  I suppose you can eat them younger but I do not see the point I normally have plenty of ordinary courgettes I also need the ones that will keep through the winter.

and I put my first batch out under bottles before I went on hols.  Only two have died even though many of the potatoes have been singed.

I have cavilli, and mikonos, and some yellow ones. 

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 18:51:05 »
mine went out on the allotment yesterday, under some protection. They were strong plants of verde di italia and tuscany. Fingers crossed time now

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 20:58:16 »
On my daughter's London allotment I put out two giant pumpkins two weeks ago under fleece, and they have survived without growing very much yet.  I got a polytunnel for her and we put it up around then and I planted a couple of Cavili in it  because they do not need pollinators. Also some tomatoes which love it in there and have more than doubled in size in the time (they are also in "self-watering" pots from Lidl, which helps). The Cavili today looked well, if not enormous. I have also put out in the open some winter squashes (have forgotten names) and hope they will survive.....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal