Author Topic: bush / shrub identification please.  (Read 2888 times)

keithn123

• I was born with nothing and have most of it left.
bush / shrub identification please.
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:41:40 »
Hi, we have a plant/bush growing alongside a privit hedge and we have no idea what this plant is. it has a thorny stem, small green serrated leaves, a bright red flower. I would like to identify this plant and if possible take a cutting to replant elsewhere. Please see attached image.

many thanks for taking time to look at this posting.

regards

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: bush / shrub identification please.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:45:09 »
Chaenomeles japonica. Flowering Quince. Not the true Quince , but the fruit is just as edible.
Gardening is the great leveller.

keithn123

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 13:24:45 »
Hello

Thank you for identifying this beautiful bush for me. My intention is to take cuttings and replant elsewhere in my garden.

kind regards

keithn123

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 14:07:21 »
Never tried cuttings, but it often suckers freely and layering really does work (even accidently). There are a lot of really nice other colour forms too.

Just 2 of ours.

keithn123

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 14:48:34 »
thank you for the information. As a recent retiree, gardening is a new hobby and the terms 'suckers' and 'layering' don't mean anything to me but I am sure I can find the answer on Google.

the pictures of two of yours are really nice - I particularly like the white one.

kind regards

keithn123

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 17:09:52 »
Sorry. A sucker is a growth which comes from the roots of a plant. It may be detached and grown on if it has roots of its own. Layering is when you take a shoot from a plant and lay it on the ground and put a weight on it. this piece then will root and may be detached eventually to be a separate entity.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 20:57:06 »
Has it ever fruited? One year, mine produced copious quinces, I made the most delicious preserve, it was really fiddly but well worth it. It has got a lot of flowers again this year, hoping for a good harvest again...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal