Author Topic: Which rodent?  (Read 3083 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Which rodent?
« on: April 11, 2005, 12:32:25 »
Rat or mouse living in my shed??

Whatever it is, I cleared out the shed this morning and can't find anything other than lots of chewed hosepipe, chewed sun parasol  >:(, chewed electrical cable  :o, and chewed fleece.  My instincts say ratty as I can't imagine mousey would chew through these things......or would he?

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Which rodent?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 13:56:01 »
Look at the size of those gnaw marks  :o   Probably a beaver  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

I was planting a fresh privet yesterday to block up the gaps in my allotment hedge and the soil fell away as there were holes underneath filled with chewed up plastic bags and I probed a bit further and found some leaf litter. 

I daren't go any further so woke up my snoozing Jack Russell to go in to see if there were any live ones about.  I would have been mortified to have one jump out at me.  He had a right good dig about, declared the area safe of rats, and went back to sleep

I agree EJ it looks like rats unfortunatley  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 14:07:25 »
I'd say you have a rat problem there Wardy, and I know myself they are b@@gers to get rid of, they even chewed through concrete on my neighbours garden!!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 14:12:58 »
Oh dear ...... rats the size of rabbits I am afraid !!!
 :o
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 16:12:57 »
Looks ratty EJ, the little darlings gnawed through one of my plastic daelek compost bins once >:( , though last year mice did chew through paddling pool and other various plastic items, I thought they had a a fetish!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 18:13:08 »
Oh Nuts!  An elephant gun it is then!!  Looks like traps as I hate the idea of poison and dead rats lurking. Yuck!  I know we have them, hell, I know they are everywhere, but why my shed!?!?!

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 21:35:27 »
I feel a few traps.......some poison and a couple of evenings with my trusty Air Rifle and a lamp are in order!........ ::)

Oh well..........Lidl's have hoses on special again...........
....we are all visitors to this earth........enjoy your stay.....:)

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 21:54:26 »
The other weekend a couple of allotment holders had decided that one of their sheds had been invaded by a rat. They had a trap but no bait - they started asking if anyone had any food on them. Another allotment holder had some ginger biscuits so they used this. The next day the biscuit had gone and there was blood on the trap, so not sure whether rat was injured enough to kill it or he escaped with the biscuit. I have not heard that there have any any more problems with the rat so maybe he did die !

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 06:56:57 »
Could you not get the local council to treat it is free in our area? :-\
Chris Pea

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 09:57:49 »
Council don't do anything free these days not even in their own properties. My old ma got ants in her warden controlled flat but we had to pay £27 or do it ourselves.

I think dogs or traps are best to catch rats.  Bait could mean that you have a dead bloated stinking rat under your shed.    :(
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal