Author Topic: Why am I on the committee?  (Read 12844 times)

aj

• Hectare
Re: Why am I on the committee?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 13:06:13 »
You are on the committee so that helpful notes like that can be installed in lieu of stupid ideas like that.  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 13:08:24 »
Want to think theirselves lucky that they have such wonderful facilities.  I'm not a where of any such things on any of the 28 sites in Swindon.  If it wasn't for S.A.L.G.A we wouldn't even have an allotment shop.  Its the old, old story. the more you do, the more you can.  Its just a shame that those who do appreciate what you do don't say so more often. Having been to your site I no what a great job you and the committee have done.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 08:04:36 »
Lets hope they have no more silly ideas, it looks like they've thrown the Towel in on this one.     :tongue3:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 08:56:16 »
I think all sites have the same problems with allotment associations ....most people don't turn up to agm's then the committee is left to try and make decisions often with the only input from "the really vocal one's with the really stupid ideas!" ......one our members asked for a litter bin in the car park so he had somewhere to put his rubbish from his lunch :dontknow:
Then you get the ones who don't come and voice their opinions to the committee but go around whinging to everyone else.
 :BangHead:

pumkinlover

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 09:59:58 »
It's a bit like real life- or a soap opera!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 11:51:57 »
Lets hope they have no more silly ideas, it looks like they've thrown the Towel in on this one.     :tongue3:

:toothy10:     :toothy10:   :toothy10:
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 12:04:20 »
I think all sites have the same problems with allotment associations ....most people don't turn up to agm's then the committee is left to try and make decisions often with the only input from "the really vocal one's with the really stupid ideas!" ......one our members asked for a litter bin in the car park so he had somewhere to put his rubbish from his lunch :dontknow:
Then you get the ones who don't come and voice their opinions to the committee but go around whinging to everyone else.
 :BangHead:

Kea, this sounds exactly like ours!

I've had a 'conversation' today with Mr Hand Dryer who told me that there is no
discipline on the site these days.  It's not like The Good Old Days when he was on the
committee.  Mind you, I've heard about the Good Old Days from someone who was
there at the time and he said the committee used to be known as the Mafia!

He is also moaning that we spent money on making the extension outside the
pavilion without asking everyone first.  I told him that the minutes of every committee
meeting are displayed on the notice board for anyone to read.  If he had objected
when it was suggested we would have considered his objection and voted on
it as we did with the hand dryer.

I told him that if he wanted to be part of the decision-making he should join the
committee.  He said that he knew what would happen if he did and I told him he
was right, I would leave! (Maybe that is the answer, put the site back in the
hands of the Mafia)

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 12:34:58 »
We no longer have a site rep. I saw him when I was shopping & he told he had finished as he is ill & who had taken over. Sadly the person he told me wasn't aware of either fact. The treasurer came up to show someone their new plot & was told that people needed sorting out as there were a few plots that were not being looked after. His response was that they have paid their dues so nothing could be done. When OH was ill last year I kept people informed & was told by the site rep that we would be thrown off if it wasn't looked after. Oh to have someone like you Betty on our committee :icon_cheers:.

French-Dream

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 13:36:05 »

For us we pay at the AGM,  we had a good turnout, voted on a couple of issues,  had a pint and everyone one was happy.

The treasurer came up to show someone their new plot & was told that people needed sorting out as there were a few plots that were not being looked after. His response was that they have paid their dues so nothing could be done.

On our site if you don't attend your plot for I think 6 months your out.
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate.   

BritBrat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 07:50:04 »
Thinking of what Jeannine was saying, is it possible for people to pay there rents and have an AGM on the same day, therefore everyones there for both reasons, just a thought.    :wave:

That is what we do and it also turns into a social event with a bring food and wine/beer.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 08:48:38 »
The trouble with turning up for AGMs is not a lack of interest or appreciation but possibly a dread that you might get press ganged onto the committee.

In general I think committees do a brilliant job and Squash I think you do an more brilliant job than most, I wish I had a plot at your site.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 15:11:12 »
 Just had a great idea about the hand  blow drier: suggest that the proposer researches the costs and finds a source of funding.  I am sure they will soon decide to do without.

Or perhaps a hole in the side of the toilet wall so you can put your hands out and let the wind dry them off. :toothy1: :toothy10: 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 16:10:11 by Digeroo »

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 16:04:35 »
 :toothy10: Or wave their arms around thier head until dry..Betty did you keep a straight face with this one?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 19:16:40 »
Or just recycle the hot air from the cack that comes out of their mouths.      :icon_cheers:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pumkinlover

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 21:13:07 »
Betty this thread was serious to start off with but I hope everyone has put it in perspective for you now! and given you a laugh...... or larrrff!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 21:25:08 »
Betty this thread was serious to start off with but I hope everyone has put it in perspective for you now! and given you a laugh...... or larrrff!

Yes I have had a larrrff about it!
 :toothy10:
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 11:07:13 »
We had a site day last week and it generally restores my faith in humanity and the point of being on the committee.
For some reason I get to organise site day which involves lots of scaffold poles and planks (we are on a slope!), tennis balls, paint, sledgehammers, the odd beer and a decent work ethic.

It is rewarding to see 82 year young Ron giving it the full wellie with the 14lb hammer!

Of course the usual crowd turn up and the rest never do but we always have a laugh and it's rewarding to see everyone working together for the wider community.

If anyone is interested there are a few pics here... 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 13:21:55 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 12:06:38 »
If anyone is interested there are a few pics here...  http://www.barriedaleallotments.org.uk/]few pics here[/url]... 
If I click on your link I go back to A4A home page, am I doing something wrong?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 13:22:27 »
No it's just me being dense (and I do IT for a living!!!)  - Link fixed..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 15:52:42 »
Lol, I tried it several times because I thought it must be me!!!
Excellent photos, looks both an enjoyable and productive work party!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal