Author Topic: under glass on a tight budget  (Read 2246 times)

sleepymrsp

• Not So New ...
under glass on a tight budget
« on: May 16, 2013, 14:15:33 »
I've had a few of those cheap plastic things but they blow over and cause me absolute chaos so have given up bothering. Now we've got the allotment I would love to have a polytunnel or greenhouse. My kids love cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers and my husband loves his chillis. I've tried having them in the open on the patio but it just doesn't want to work.

Been looking around for a cheap second-hand greenhouse with no luck. We need to put paths in so money is tight. I might have to wait and save up but if anyone's got any money saving suggestions it would be great.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: under glass on a tight budget
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 15:11:55 »
Some one here posted a link to this page - I have always meant to have a bash but inertia is king..
Edit - it was zaz283

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 15:14:07 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 16:46:58 »
have you tried joining your local Freecycle ?
We've had spare glass and a whole greenhouse which hubby put up for a neighbour.
You're even allowed to ask, it's usually a dismantle and remove but it's not that difficult  :happy7:
sanity is overated

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 19:11:20 »
I'm on York freecycle- i'll let you know if I see anything around here.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 19:48:48 »
Mrs P, you will find in a short time that A4A is brill :icon_cheers:. We do try to help each other :hello2:

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 19:50:55 »
Take a walk around where you live... look over walls and fences and if you see a disused one .... knock on and ask. Thats how I have built my whole allotment.. greenhouse, paving slabs, security fence units... you name it I got it all given .. only by asking. I did pay £60 for my £350 quid shed tho.. (The worst answer you can get is only a no... )

See what I did on my blog site here www.gavinconway.net
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal