Author Topic: Ginger Beer Recipe, please?  (Read 13656 times)

Vez1

• Half Acre
Re: Ginger Beer Recipe, please?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 19:34:23 »
Is there a non alcholic version of this anywhere?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 09:52:40 »
Did enjoy the brew but would like something a bit spicier, anyone tried adding some raw ginger to it. Maybe i'll give it a go next time round.
Also anyone got any idea on what the alcohol content maybe?

Our specific gravity doodah said 5%, which was highly amusing as the hubbie's beer only came out at 4%!

I'm still drinking my way through the third batch (after which I had no room under the stairs for another!) and it's now *very* dry indeed. I keep being tempted to add some more sugar and then bung a bottle in the fridge to stop it fermenting further.

I know what you mean about spicier - it is less gingery that I'd expected - I think I shall do double ginger next time I start a plant. However, this recipe has ruined me for bought-in ginger beer, which is WAY too sickly sweet in comparison! I guess that is more the ginger/sugar/boil it up type.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 22:31:23 »
Is there a non alcholic version of this anywhere?

I haven't found one but would love to know if there is cos it something my mum used to make me for as a child - either that or she wanted me quiet and subdued!!!!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 22:35:38 »
Homemade Ginger Beer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:
1 oz peeled & crushed Ginger root
1/3 cup Lime juice
Peel of 3 small Lime
1/2 cup Sugar
3 3/4 cups boiling Water
1/4 tsp Yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm Water
Mixing instructions:
Combine the crushed ginger,lime peel,juice and sugar in a jar or bottle larger than 32 oz with a lid that can be tightly sealed. Pour in the boiling water. Cover loosely and let cool to room temp. Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water and add. Seal the jar as tightly as possible and let stand at room temp overnight. Chill, strain and serve.

Judging by the time before drinking this must be virtually alcohol free but cannot find anything specific.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 22:39:49 »
Just found this as well:   http://collections.ic.gc.ca/science/english/bio/projects/microbio.html

Which if I remember rightly my mum always used to add  a tablespoon of disolvd sugar a day which would explain the alcohol freedom!  Will have to give this a go again myself but sound like it should work fine......... ;D

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2005, 12:49:13 »
My first batch is fermenting nicely a week and a half after bottling.  I do have to keep 'letting off steam' as it were every other day as the bottles (even though I crush them) are always fit to burst.  They are not in a warm room.

Is this normal?

Can't wait to start supping, smells gorgeous.

Sand

jamesthehat

• Not So New ...
  • plough the fields and scatter
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 17:46:28 »
Fantastic.Exactly what i was looking for and found straight away.Starting my plant first thing tommorow.Can i add raw ginger to the bottles when i fill them up for gingery kicks ? ;D

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 18:30:30 »
Somewhere in a house we lived in is a kitchen ceiling with what one might well imagine are cork or bottle top marks indented in the ceiling. Oh happy memories.
We could not stop laughing. We had added too much sugar and no sooner than we started to loosen the cap it shot off, hit the ceiling and bounced around the room.
The best of it was the whole bottle erupted in foam and we got a wine glass full between us. That was our first home made ginger beer and we will never forget it.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jamesthehat

• Not So New ...
  • plough the fields and scatter
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2005, 11:46:43 »
Right then.Got a plant going in a le parfait jar made with unrefined natural muscavado and it smells heavenly.Dont know what its going to turn out like though, does it matter what suger i use ?

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2005, 15:57:27 »
Oh yum yum yum, just started drinking my ginger beer and it's gorgeous :P

Time to start a new plant...

sand

Macca

• Quarter Acre
  • Fork it!
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2005, 18:58:36 »
i've used half a pound of raw ginger to pep things up a bit this time, i put it through my juicer and added it to the final sugar solution. I also replaced half the sugar with unrefined molasses cane sugar. So it's come out alot darker but smells great. Roll on three weeks, can't wait to taste it. I'll keep you all posted

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2005, 02:22:01 »
These ginger beer recipes sound so good. I must have a go.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2005, 11:05:57 »
I made so much earlier this year I am still in possession of some of the bottles.

They have gone very very dry indeed.  I suspect re-adding sugar before drinking is going to be necessary,  and I hate to think what the alcohol level now is!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 16:39:56 »
Can I ask if you could do this in a demijohn and use the appropriate intestine shaped do-hickey on top? (can you guess that Ive never made wine/beer?  ;D)

I just came across this method now and may just give it a start over the weekend.

The 'recipe' below was nicked from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A634664.

I've never made it but often meant to. My Mum used to make it when I were a lad, and it were beautiful. Of course in them days she used glass bottles, and we had a few very loud explosions in the garage if they got too warm. using plastic pop bottles means you can allow for expansion (see below). Make sure you use pop bottles, i.e. those designed to withstand pressure! Might have to give it a go myself now!

Alcoholic Ginger Beer
There are two ways of making ginger beer. The first consists of shredding ginger root and boiling it up with water and sugar. The second involves making a ginger 'plant' which can be re-used time and time again. This makes a batch once a week. The brewing process that will be discussed in this entry is the latter.

Equipment and Ingredients

Equipment
A jar and lid which is big enough to contain the plant.
One pint-sized measuring jug
Several clean and dry two-litre plastic bottles.
Teaspoons
A large pan
A fine cloth for straining the plant

Ingredients
Dried ginger
Dried yeast
Sugar
Juice of four lemons
Water

Making the Plant
The plant is a mixture of dried ginger, yeast, sugar and water. This creates a yeast culture.

In the jar, place one teaspoon of dried yeast, two teaspoons of dried ginger, four teaspoons of sugar and a pint (600ml) of cold water.

Stir and keep at room temperature.

Feed the plant every day with two teaspoons of dried ginger and four teaspoons of sugar. Stir after feeding.

The plant will be ready after one week.

Making the Ginger Beer
Place 1kg (2lb) of sugar and two pints of boiling water in the large pan. The sugar will dissolve.

Add the juice of the four lemons to the pan.

Strain the contents of the jar - the plant - through the cloth into the pan. See below for what is to be done with the solid portion of the plant.

Add 14 pints of room temperature water.

Stir and bottle. Fill the bottles about seven-eighths full as you need to allow for expansion. Squeeze the air out of the bottles to stop them exploding under pressure from their contents.

Store the bottles in a safe place at room temperature, and leave for three to four weeks to 'brew'.

Discard half of the solid from the plant or give it to someone so they may start their own. Place the remaining half in a clean jar with a pint of water and continue to feed as above.

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 21:26:56 »
this sounds interesting - I think I will have to have a go. If we start now, can the bottles be kept until Chrimble? or will this ruin the taste?

And if you make it with a demi john, will it not lose the fizz killerflies (I say that with authority but I dunno, just looks like it will turn out fizzy to me)
When I'm not working, I'm diggin' or craftin'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal