Author Topic: Less peat-free compost around?  (Read 2196 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Less peat-free compost around?
« on: May 02, 2013, 19:00:17 »
Has anyone else found that there seems to be less peat-free compost around this year?  The Homebase near my work had none at all this week and the local garden centre only had one sort called "light and easy" which I bought only to find it was rubbish- woolly, woody stuff. I got New Horizon from "Wyevale"as I usually do, so guess I'll have to go there again, although it's a bit of a trek. :(

liefste

• Not So New ...
Re: Less peat-free compost around?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:56:03 »
I bought some peat free compost from Lidl but I'd have to sieve out all the woody stuff before i could do anything with it...not sure what to do with it, just chuck it back on a bed... Think i will stick to Asda's compost  :sunny:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 08:02:32 »
Lidls & Aldi compost is Durstons. I emailed Durstons to see if they sold it locally & that's what they told me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 08:06:04 by grannyjanny »

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:20:51 »
This is quite interesting as a in February I was trying to find some peat based compost for planting some fruit trees and everything was peat free at that time.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 19:50:32 »
B&Q promised the public that their compost would be peat free a few years ago. Aint seen any difference since!!
Been buying this 'Verve' stuff from them this year and it certainly aint peat free, so there you go!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal