Author Topic: spinach varieties question  (Read 3406 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
spinach varieties question
« on: March 23, 2015, 12:22:33 »
I ordered a packet of Bloomsdale (my top favourite summer spinach  :tongue3: ) from T&M and they sent me a packet called America instead.  I complained and they sent me another packet of America.  I complained again and (eventually) they come back saying it's the same variety.

Well, from memory and a quick google; Bloomsdale is a smooth-seeded variety and this 'America' is a prickly-seeded one.

Does anyone have a packet of bona-fide Bloomsdale that they could look at and verify my thoughts on this.

Thanking you....

earlypea

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
Re: spinach varieties question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 17:45:25 »
complained again and (eventually) they come back saying it's the same variety.

That made me chuckle :)

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 21:45:40 »
Well, you've expanded my knowledge of spinach! But I agree with your position. I'm amazed when other plot holders don't know what varieties they are growing. Oh, they're just leeks / cabbages / peas!

amphibian

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 00:04:19 »
America The thick, deep green, savoy-leafed plants grow to 30cm in width. The variety is very slow to bolt. It can be spring or fall sown but does not over winter well. From direct sowings: 45-50 days. This heirloom variety was introduced in the USA in 1952

Bloomsdale This variety produces a heavy stand of dark-green, crumpled and tender fleshy leaves which have a rich flavour. It can be sown in early spring or late summer for a fall crop. This variety is cold hardy throughout the winter. Slow to bolt. From direct sowing: 45 days.This variety already known by 1925 and is possibly from teh 19th century

So in summary they are entirely different cultivars with differing cold tolerance.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:07:00 »
So in summary they are entirely different cultivars with differing cold tolerance.

Thanks Amphibian.  Seems my suspicions are true!  They are trying to fob me off.  Could you possibly let me know your source so I can quote it at them.

KGarden - if that made you laugh.  This certainly will.....

The first time I phoned customer services and they said they'd send me a replacement for the missing Bloomsdale I asked whether they wanted the America back and they replied "No, don't worry - they're only seeds".

Since then I've been wondering whether they understand anything about their customers

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:56:50 »

Thanks Amphibian.  Seems my suspicions are true!  They are trying to fob me off.  Could you possibly let me know your source so I can quote it at them.

KGarden - if that made you laugh.  This certainly will.....

The first time I phoned customer services and they said they'd send me a replacement for the missing Bloomsdale I asked whether they wanted the America back and they replied "No, don't worry - they're only seeds".

Since then I've been wondering whether they understand anything about their customers

My source is "A directory of Heritage Seeds" by Dominique Guillet

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 10:18:05 »

amphibian

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 11:11:40 »
You'll get Bloomsdale here:

http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/seeds/index.html

Etty lists both varieties - though it says America is from 1856.

The Seed Savers Exchange lists America as being from 1952 - and describes it as a 'Bloomsdale type'.

The SSE describes Bloomsdale as being from 1826 - whereas Etty and my source say the 1920s.

It's a minefield this lark.

SSE has pictures of the two varieties they are visually very different. America and Bloomsdale respectively.

earlypea

• Hectare
Re: spinach varieties question - T&M error
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 19:51:43 »
Just to round it up.  I thought I'd add that Thompson and Morgan did eventually get back to me on this.  (I used the info from Amphibian  :wave: thanks )and a bit more.  They said

"I can confirm that the 'Bloomsdale' and 'America' varieties of Spinach seeds are not the same. The 'America' seeds were incorrectly listed as 'Bloomsdale' seeds on our system. I would like to thank you for your email as it enabled us to discover this error and correct it accordingly."

Well, thanks for thanking me, but I do find this customer service quite odd.  They didn't offer a refund at all.

I've asked for one.

In the meantime I bought some from elsewhere, plus more postage.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 20:00:24 by earlypea »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal