Author Topic: Planting Spuds  (Read 2037 times)

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
Planting Spuds
« on: March 13, 2005, 21:07:02 »
Hi All,

New to this forum and a bit of a novice on the vegetable front.  I feel like a bit of an impostor - I don't have an allotment but my garden is fairly big. 

My question is regarding growing potatoes.  I have two plots and I've read here and there that you should rotate your crops.  Can I grow my spuds in the same plot for two years - will it all go wrong if I do?  The potatoes are first earlies - Rocket.  I grew King Edwards last year and they were fantastic.

The reason I ask is I've only prepared one of the plots so far and it's the one that had my spuds in last year.  I did intend to put my spuds in the opposite plot but I've not prepared it yet...

Any help - greatly appreciated...

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: Planting Spuds
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 10:25:45 »
Hi quinney,
Welcome to the siite get your coat off and pick up a spade. :)

"The two problems with growing the same (or similar) crops in the same area year after year, is that the nutrients in the soil become unbalanced and that pests and diseases which are attracted to the crop can increase in the soil.

By changing the position of the crops, the nutrients can remain balanced (as different groups of crops require different nutrients) in addition soil borne pests and diseases are reduced as they are not given the chance to build up year after year."

After saying all that as Rockets are first early tatties and  have a short growing season and as you dont have anywhere else available.   You should be ok as long as you dig some compost in when planting them or use a general purpose fertilizer.. Because Your king edwards last year will have took a lot of nutrient out of that plot. 
 I am sure you will get more input to your question so see what others have to say on it.. cheers Jim...

Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 10:30:30 »
Quinny - I don't have an allotment either.

Used to have 2 in the 'olden days'.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 11:02:43 »
I'd certainly grow spuds two years runningin the same plot if the choice was spuds or no spuds. Three years and you're pushing it. Get the spade warmed up, Quinny.

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 14:10:46 »
Thanks All - I do have another plot but I just haven't dug it over yet.  I may get the chance this weekend and then all will be fine. 

I get the feeling non-allotment owners hang about here also - just for the fun of it?

I think I'll dig my other plot over and then put the rockets and Desiree in there.  The my other plot can be used for my garlic, onions and whetever else I can think of.

I just finished double digging the first plot though so I'll need a little relaxation for the back before I tackle it... 

Cheers.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 16:28:38 »
Who me? Hanging about??

quinny

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 17:55:45 »
No offence intended Tim - just having a laugh to myself...  I thought everyone had a plot that used this forum...!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal