Author Topic: Rhubarb crowns - which way is up?  (Read 2572 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Rhubarb crowns - which way is up?
« on: April 25, 2013, 21:27:19 »
I think I've really hit rock bottom with this question, so with apologies in advance, I'v got 4 Red Champagne rhubarb crowns and for the life of me, i cannot figure which way is up.  One end on a couple of the crowns has a very slight protrusion, but I cant tell if its root or not.  They are all very slightly pear-shaped. Is the thinner end the root?  I've heard you can plant them sideways and they will work out which way to grow - but I'd rather get it right if I can.

A slightly less daft question, but still on rhubarb - one that I planted last year has sprouted a top that can only be described as looking like pink broccoli.  Any thoughts on what's happened and what to do.

Many thanks for all the responses

willsy

• Half Acre
Re: Rhubarb crowns - which way is up?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 21:39:21 »
The pink broccoli thing is flower seed which needs to be removed. Well I think it is,Im sure someone else will be along to say if it is otherwise.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 22:37:12 »
I would have thought they would have come out of dormency by now. The only thing i can sugest without seeing a photo would be for you to google ruhbarb crowns immages
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 00:44:33 »
Pop them between a few layers of damp kitchen roll and you should see something happen after a get days.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:25:23 »
Yes indeed - the 'pink broccoli' is the first sign of a flower.  Cut any flowers to keep the plants producing.  Well, maybe just once let it flower to see what it is like (they are tall) and cut once you have seen the flower develop.

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:33:24 »
You have 3...plant one one way..one the other and one sideways and see which works best..I love an experiment! You never know what 'secret' of nature you may uncover...
Pink frothy thing is like Galina said the flower...cut it give it to the missus and tell her you love her...then say I will be your custard...if you love me enough to put that in a vase on the mantlepiece!...(let me know how that one goes eh!)  :toothy10: :tongue3:
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 18:15:55 »
If you let the plant run to seed, part of its energy goes into that rather than producing the stems you want. Remove it ruthlessly.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 21:13:05 »
many thanks for all the advice.  am following cambourne7's suggestion and watching closely.  the pink broccoli has been disposed of (although why it did this i cant think, as we've had no sun/warmth which i thought would have been required to turn it into a flower).  My other plant has done me proud; crumble mix and custard is standing ready.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 21:53:33 »
Good luck and dont let it dry out :) hugs

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 23:41:58 »
Quite a few of my rhubarb plants decided to flower last year and those that did seem to be keen to repeat, I seem to be removing flowerheads very often at the moment.

I was told that if you let them flower that the plant will die, but I have never found out if that is true since I always remove the flowers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal