Author Topic: Liqueurs  (Read 6060 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Liqueurs
« on: April 28, 2013, 00:47:13 »
Has anyone got any decent liqueur recipes? I made some out of the blackcurrants last year and that was awesome. Also a cointreau clone with orange peel and spices. Raspberry's screaming to be done and i know I'm sure I'm going to have a glut of strawbs this year.

Just looking for some tried and tested recipes that I can give a go of. 

gwynleg

• Hectare
Re: Liqueurs
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 17:14:49 »
Hi Gordon. I make lots of different liqueurs - the best is probably raspberry vodka (think it counts as liqueur? Same recipe for other types of fruit. I use a big jar with seal and lid - fill at least 3/4 full of fruit and fill with vodka (or rum or gin depending on your preference). Seal and shake and shake from time to time over about 3 months. After that time make a sugar solution by heating up sugar and water until dissolved. Decant the liquid from the raspberries (I use a sieve and muslin or jam filter bag) and put into a big bowl (keep the raspberries for pudding). Add sugar solution a bit at a time tasting to see when it tastes good (not too big slugs though or you wont taste it anymore!). When it tastes lovely and fruity and sweet to your taste bottle it and there you go!

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 20:58:54 »
Cheers Gwynleg. I'd say raspberry vodka counts 100% as a liqueur  :happy7: That's kind of what I did with the blackcurrant but I added the sugar with the fruit and it dissolved over time. Adding syrup at the end sounds a lot more controllable.

I knew I'd learn something if I asked!

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 22:22:46 »
You could try Amazon for the book "Straightforward Liquer making" by Prof Gerry Fowles...it is my 'bible' for making them..
If you cannot find it I could perhaps post a few of the recipes in it...it is a very old publication....
Give me a shout if you would like some recipes out of it!
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:31 »
I would be interested to read any recipes you put up nomspatch as I've worn out the alcofrolic uses of the glut of sloes I get each season having made gin,scotch,brandy,vodka and yes,after 3 to 5 years they do take on a pleasant sticky licquer consistency,but I also wish to try some fruits from my plot.......plums....strawbs.....goosys......so I'll be interested with your reply.

Cheers

Gazza

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:19:57 »
A friend of mine makes several liqueurs, all with the same soaking method as described by gwynleg. My friend makes fig (very good, cut the fresh figs in half) and also walnut, and plums. She uses a cheap eau de vie, the type used for example to preserve cherries in schnapps (which is also very good!! leave the cherries about 3 months then eat them with caution and use the liquid in baking or to drink).
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 09:57:11 »
Hi again...
Hi Gazza, unfortunately I do not have a scanner, as the easiest way to give these recipes would undoubtedly be by that means..I will try to photograph them and add them on dropbox (if they are clear enough to see, the print in this book is quite pale) if that doesn't work I will type them out for you longhand, but that may take some time....as it is raining here today I will see what can be done k!
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:58:17 »
First one out for drinking this year - strawberry. I'll deffo give this a miss for next year. Looks really nice, pink and enticing. Tastes vaguely like it might have passed a strawberry on it's way to a paint stripper convention. Probably would have been more productive putting the strawbs in the compost, sadly.

On the plus side, straining off the blackcurrant soon. That is tasting very promising even before sweetening and looks like ribena. Could be deadly  :icon_cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal