Author Topic: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)  (Read 180952 times)

JRP

• Acre
Re: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2006, 23:59:06 »
1. I compost clothes - wool and cotton works great.

2. I am trying compost shredded paper - all the junk mail etc goes through a shredder and then into bins; seems to work O.K.

3. Use pallets for making compost bins.

4. Use plastic bottles for crop protection of small plants from animals and the cold.
Will be trying to use bottles as slug traps.

5. Used to use old engine oil, after oil change for preserving wood on shed.

6. Use wire for old electrical appilance for trying up crops. Once used cabling left over from a computer network for growing grapes on.

Hi Davee52 uk,it's nice to know that there are other people out there doing their bit to reuse things. May you and yours live long and happy. John. J.R.P.
www.recycling.moonfruit.com designed to help save lives. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2006, 00:06:09 »
Certainly admire your persistence, JRP! I'll look out for the tv programme this week.

Hi Caroline7758,thank you. May you and yours live long and happy. John.J.R.P.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #182 on: October 04, 2006, 08:03:20 »
Just seeing if anything happens when i try to post this ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2006, 09:19:37 »
It's lonely out here  :'( I posted this as a reply in most recent posts.
Smile, it confuses people.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2006, 10:18:12 »
Very difficult. Try the Chat lounge,that is still open.
Gardening is the great leveller.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2006, 10:22:46 »
Aha! I can send a reply, but for the life of me can only see the last post (in the most recent posts bit). This is going to make talking problematic!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2006, 10:25:46 »
Come and join us in the chat room -- still warm and welcoming!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2006, 20:46:23 »
Still no sign of Dan the man though!
Gardening is the great leveller.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2006, 00:20:01 »
 :)Hi ALL who are interested in the way I do things. To day the 5-11-2006 I reveal my latist design in a upright transportable growing system,which is my latist project to help those who have not a lot of space on the ground surface,but have a fence or railings or a wall going round it,which could be used to help hold it in place. I designed it for children to use or someone in a wheelchair or someone who can't dig any more. I've added 3 photos to my Cereal Crop Growing photo page for you to look at,and I've changed others on my 3 other Crop Growing pages too,which I hope will change your mind about digging in the future. My Project is to be used by our local community to show a different way of growing things,and to have fun too doing it, by adding some colours to the containers to show who's who's when in use. With a end result of a Private back yard with lots of coloured plastic containers surrounding it,with lots of different things growing in them, which also has a new green wire screen as a backing too,attached to railings which go all the way round it. Which my 3 photo show the first 3 stages of on my website. I have other designs for you to look at in the future which I hope you will find of interest too. May you and yours live long and happy to see lots of fireworks. John. J.R.P.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 10:06:16 by JRP »

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2006, 13:25:25 »
 ;D :)Hi ALL,it has been suggested I put a link in my message to the relevent page on my website,because it might get more people looking.which is www.recycling.moonfruit.com
 ??? But if I did that people might not look at anything else,in regards to helping to spreading the word. John. J.R.P.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 23:12:06 by JRP »

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2006, 18:09:21 »
 ;D :-[Hi ALL,whilst looking at  www.vortexs-veg-patch.blogspot.com website on allotments uk website,it was great to see some photos on his website of my container system being used to grow things,with this in mind please visit his website to see some proof that it works in the simplist of ways. John J.R.P.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 22:46:24 by JRP »

MurphyX

• Not So New ...
  • Throw the ball. JUST THROW THE FRICKING BALL OK?
    • Laptops4All.co.uk
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2006, 16:44:30 »
Seems like a bit of a waste of space and quite an eyesore.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2006, 01:39:10 »
 :)Hi everyone,may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy Christmas,and a very Happy New Year 2007 too. ;D ;)
I will look forward to shareing some more ideas with you in the future.
May you and yours live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2007, 01:49:23 »
 ;D :)Hi ALL ,for those who have a polytunnel and want to recycle rain water,which does not fall on their crops because they are covered by the polytunnel.
May I share another new idea of mine with you which I believe as not been tried before AS IF I HAD a polytunnle which I believe is a good idea to use.
MY IDEA IS, I would make up a system to catch all the rain water which would normally run off the polytunnel, which I then would make go into a water butt done in a simple way.
First I would buy some cheap plastic guttering or long lengths of plastic pipe which I would saw down the middle to give me two halfs each time,these I would support by putting 2-4 say 10ft bean canes or less at the furthest end corners,and I would sink them in about 1 foot,then I would laydown alongside my polytunnel all my lengths of guttering until it came out enough to flow into 2 water butts,one on each side of where I would walk in,putting 4 canes to support where the ends of each gutter over lapped each other,so that no water leaked,held in place by what ever you had like tape or string. This I would do on both sides right next to the cover so my guttering was sloping down towards my water butts resting on bean canes spaced out in 4s at each overlap joint.
I would then put a length of guttering along the back of the futhest end sloping from one side to another a bit,resting on the top of my 2 side gutterings where  the 4 canes are on each corner,but a bit shorter so that any rain water will drip down into the side ones,held in place by what ever you are using.
Next is how I would get my rain water into my guttering which is away from the side of my polytunnel. I would use any sheet of plastic for example,bin liners cut in 4 - 6 inch wide long strips or green bags or even shopping bages would work over lapping each other too..
NOW COMES THE BEST BIT,I would get a real of sticky tape of some sort which will stick to the polytunnel cover material,I would then lay all my lengths of plastic in line with my guttering so that some of it can be stuck to the polytunnel cover and some lays in the guttering not stuck. JOB DONE.
What I would have then is a polytunnel with a attached flap like system that lays inside my guttering which slopes down into my two water butts supported by bean canes,I would then lay some more bean canes down on top of the flaps inside the guttering to help hold it in place. This way would also work if my polytunnel was on a slope too.
It's up to you now whether you try it or not,I have over 8,000 small water buts I use so I'm ok. May you and yours live long and happy.  Happy New Year 2007. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2007, 01:22:55 »
 ;D Hi ALL,I've just noticed that I have not been telling you that I have a website.
I'm now going to put that right,it's www.recycling.moonfruit.com. ;D
designed to help save lives.
Once again may I wish you and yours a Happy New Year 2007. John. J.R.P. ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 01:31:35 by JRP »

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2007, 07:27:38 »
Just a comment on your polytunnel water gathering idea, I believe that high winds would cause it to destroy itself. There are already better ideas for achieving this anyway.

Oh and by the way, I think the milk carton ideas are completely raving but hey, it takes all sorts
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:05:42 by Merry Tiller »

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2007, 08:45:36 »
;D Hi ALL,I've just noticed that I have not been telling you that I have a website.
I'm now going to put that right,it's www.recycling.moonfruit.com. ;D
designed to help save lives.
Once again may I wish you and yours a Happy New Year 2007. John. J.R.P. ;D
looks like you did 5 posts higher up!

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2007, 01:06:57 »
Just a comment on your polytunnel water gathering idea, I believe that high winds would cause it to destroy itself. There are already better ideas for achieving this anyway.

Oh and by the way, I think the milk carton ideas are completely raving but hey, it takes all sorts

Hi Merry Tiller,thank you for showing your interest in my idea,yes I did not allow for the strong wind side of things,but there's a far simpler way which might already be used. You could do the same thing with rows of buckets or the like positioned in the curve part of the polytunnel cover,with a brick or stones laid inside them to keep them in place.
As for my container idea it works very well thank you.  ;D
May you and yours live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

www.recycling.moonfruit.com designed to help save lives.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2007, 17:18:59 »
 ;D Hi ALL,how are things going if you are using any of my ideas,I would like to know.
May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.  ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2007, 18:06:30 »
  ;D Hi JRP! I'm not using any of your ideas 'yet' because I've lost my whetstone to sharpen my hatchets! A right shame .... I'll find it yet though!

Did Sir Cliff ever answer your mails about your unique digging ideas?

You wanna watch him you know ... I'm a good friend of Sue Barker and she's got a few tales to tell.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal