Author Topic: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)  (Read 179312 times)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
Re: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2006, 16:34:04 »
Hi JRP, Hi all,  :D

I think this is a useful thread for bouncing around new ideas and discussing environmental and social issues. Thanks JRP for keeping us on our toes.
If I am able to get the big water containers I will probably use them as cloches because I have had success at liberating all sorts of other containers from skips etc which I am now using for planting that I wouldn`t otherwise have space for. My bigger problem is protecting my crops from insects, birds and rodents.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2006, 00:32:05 »
Hi Columbus,the only problem I have is with flying snails? As when it's digging or checking crops time near my plot,I find SNAILS are some how landing inside my containers on the top rows. I know snails can climb up anything that get wet,BUT,to be inside one of my containers in the middle of 10,means it had to pass by all the crops growing on the bottom before passing all those growing on the top. I suppose I should say I think it's the birds,BUT,when some people don't like the way you are doing things,it makes me wonder? I'm not talking about young people either,these are in their 80s.
Using the big water containers with a mesh over the top when it's upside down is a good idea,as it being heavy will help in strong winds,and it will let some rain water in,and it will help to keep the birds and insects off your crops too.and any flying snails. ;D ;D ; John. JRP.
www.recycling.moonfruit.com designed to help save lives. John. J.R.P.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2006, 09:13:30 »
"flying snails"........now that's something for me to think about today.! Many Thanks for the smile, JRP  ;D ;D ;D

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2006, 00:25:54 »
Hi ALL,another month gone by again and still no major break through in regards to finding some one to help me to take my idea forward to help the poor.

Whilst we are now having some rainfall in the South East I have now done up all my container caps to save as much water as I can,as I think we are not going to get a lot in the summer.
This year I'm growing a lot more in my pallet sections on my pallet half plot for example. Starting from the front on the left hand side of my plot. (P1) section I've got potato's growing in 50 bottomless 2 litre on the bottom and I've got 50 old onions growing on the top in 2 litre bottomless bottles sown in 2004. (P2) section has got 50 potato's containers on the bottom and 50 old leek growing on the top sown in 2004. (P3) section has got 50 potato containers on the bottom and 50 mixed carrots  containers on the top sown in 2006. (P4) section has got 50 potato containers on the bottom and 50 Parsnip containers on the top sown in 2006. (P5) section has got 50 potato containers on the bottom and 50 Beetroot containers on the top sown in 2006.
I've just started my (A) pallet section with 40 more potato 4 pint containers in side 50 6 pint base containers rows, 1-2-4-5 the third rows I've got my Runner Beans in sown in 2006. (B) (C) have 80 base 6 Pinter's containers in at the moment with their third rows having some more Runner Beans in sown 2006. (D) (E) (F) have Strawberries growing in them on the bottom in 6 Pinter's,with some Herb containers and celery growing on the top rows plus old Spring onions,Sweetpeas and other things. In my (G) section I've got 50 Broad Bean plants growing,in my (H) section I've got French Beans,in my (I) section I've got  lettuces growing,in my (J) (K) (L) sections I've got Peas growing,in my (M) (N) (O) section I've got Tomato's  seedlings growing,in my first pallet section on the right hand side I've got 100 Cabages growing (P2) section I've got 100 Brussels Sprouts growing, (P3) section I've got 100 Broccoli growing, (P4) section I've got mixed onions growing on the bottom in 50 containers and I've got 50 Radish containers on the top, (P5) section I've got 100 Cauliflower growing in it.
All I've got to do now is wait and see what harvest I get. May you all live long and happy. John. JRP.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 00:32:43 by JRP »

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2006, 00:22:22 »
A POSITIVE INTEREST SHOWN IN MY IDEA.
 ;D Hi Every one who visits this topic, I'm pleased to inform you that I have a very special person coming to see me,and my allotment plot on the 10th May 2006,which was designed by me to grow food to eat,made from waste plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets.
NO it's not someone who represents Royalty. NO it's not someone who is in Government in the UK or abroad. NO it's not someone from the Council. NO it's not someone who represents a Charity,or a School or anyone from the Environment network,or Waste management,or someone who's Famous either,and it's not someone who's related to me,or from the Media,or someone with lots of money.
YES,it's a lady who was 60 on the 24th of April 2006,and who is the loving mother of 9 children who wants to come and see me personally to talk and see what I have been telling people about,which every one can do too if they use my very simple to make transportable water recycling system to grow things to eat.
This I think is great as she lives in Greenwich,in South East London,which is the same borough I live in,which I hope after our meeting she will tell lots of others about in a positive way on my behalf. Plus I'm going to show about another 30 old folk on the 15th May 2006 my way of growing things,which they will also do too as part of a Age Concern day,which I was asked to do last week when I visited our local Community Centre.
Thank you for taking the time to read my message as it means a lot to me when someone shows so much positive interest in the way I do things.
May you and yours live long and happy. John. JRP.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2006, 06:53:00 »
great news JRP.  am glad your hard work is attracting some positive attention. it's obviously far too well planned for anysort of government interest !!!!  :P

i still have this page on my "notify" list and always look forward to hearing how you're getting on.

i'd be interested to see a pick when the system is full of growing things.

keep up the good work.   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2006, 16:03:01 »
Hi JRP, Hi all,  :)

NO it's not someone who represents Royalty. NO it's not someone who is in Government in the UK or abroad. NO it's not someone from the Council. NO it's not someone who represents a Charity,or a School or anyone from the Environment network,or Waste management,or someone who's Famous either,and it's not someone who's related to me,or from the Media,or someone with lots of money.

Which just goes to show that its ordinary people living ordinary lives making quiet small contributions that collectively make a huge difference.

(I just had my green party candidate knock on my  door. I thought he was a bit smarmy, but they`ve got the others running scared around here.)

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2006, 00:01:27 »
great news JRP.  am glad your hard work is attracting some positive attention. it's obviously far too well planned for anysort of government interest !!!!  :P

i still have this page on my "notify" list and always look forward to hearing how you're getting on.

i'd be interested to see a pick when the system is full of growing things.

keep up the good work.   ;D

:)Hi Mrs KP,thank you for showing your interset in the way I do things,I will put a photo of this years allotment plot on my website www,recycling.moonfruit.com so you and others can see what it looks like. That's why there is just one photo space left for me to use,then I have used up all my photo website spaces for the price I pay.
May you and yours live long and happy. ;D John. JRP.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2006, 00:12:13 »
Hi JRP, Hi all,  :)

Which just goes to show that its ordinary people living ordinary lives making quiet small contributions that collectively make a huge difference.

(I just had my green party candidate knock on my  door. I thought he was a bit smarmy, but they`ve got the others running scared around here.)

Col

:)Hi Columbus,thank you for showing your interest in the way I do things, I agree with you,that's why sometimes I say when I sign off. Power to the people who are doing their bit,in a waste using way or to help others,because collectively we do make a big difference.
May you and yours live long and happy.  ;D John. JRP.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2006, 06:10:54 »
Wow!!!!   ;D Looking good John !   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2006, 01:08:57 »
;D Hi ALL,what a great day we had on the 10-5-2006,what with it being a very hot and sunny day,and meeting a very positive thinking lady,who I spoke to for at least 3 hours,before she had to make her own way back home again back to South East Greenwich by bus.
With a end result after our meeting being,she said that she will do all she can to help spread the word on my behalf,about my way of growing things after she see my plot. For example she's going to contact the TV Community channle,and use my idea on her own very small back garden space boxed in by high fences and no earth,just concrete to grow food on to eat as she is a vegetarian,and she can cook too,just as well as she is the loving mother of 9 children who enjoys life.
If there's any one else out there who wants to see my plot,and meet me to talk about it,please e-mail me. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2006, 00:43:22 »
;D Hi ALL,I'm pleased to inform you that I have met another positive thinking lady who's in direct contact with lots of people,who is going to help to spread the word on my behalf after me showing her and 38 other people my way of growing things,at a Community Centre in Abbeywood on the 15-5-2006 in South East London to do with Age Concern.
Every body in the building was very inpressed with how simple my system was to make,and use,that they all said they will tell others and get in contact with me again so that I can show others too in the future.
It's all happening,I think the ball is rolling at last with so many people saying they like my idea,only time will tell as you know some people say one thing and do another,but if they tell one person that's ok with me,as that one person might tell someone else.
What a great start to this month meeting one lady and now meeting others who are going to help me too.
To the future way of doing things together. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2006, 14:38:35 »
;D Hi ALL again,for those who are interested,I was told today the 17-5-2006 that I was on SKY Three,by someone who watched it,but not by the film makers. This is a repeat programm so I will be looking at it with you to see what the end result was after 6 hours of filming to help get my message across.
Tha Secret Life of Suburbia is on at 6am and 6pm,thank you for your time. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2006, 23:20:06 »
;D Hi ALL again,all is not lost as we believe I'm on tomorrow the 18-5-2006 at 6pm,because it's to do with eccentric people which I suppose I am to some people. If I'm not on we have missed it too,never mind it might be repeated again in the future,we will have to wait and see,fingers crossed. John. J.R.P.

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2006, 10:01:58 »
We'll try and watch the programme, but tearing the kids away from the Simpsons may be a problem! :o

Thanks for the update, we've been reading this thread with interest.
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2006, 00:16:03 »
We'll try and watch the programme, but tearing the kids away from the Simpsons may be a problem! :o

Thanks for the update, we've been reading this thread with interest.

Hi Money_Bunny,I'm sorry for up setting your family,but it was not on today as we thought it might be. All I can say is the programme is on again next week,and that Tuesday and Thursday have something to do with using, spaces, or gardening. Apart from that we don't know when it's on either. It just said The Secrets Life of Suburbia which I did for SKY 1 back in June 2005. Thank you once again for showing your interest in what I'm doing,fingers crossed it's on next week. John. J.R.P.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 23:39:58 by JRP »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2006, 00:25:25 »
What a pity I haven't got Sky. Gutted. Would so love to see it.....thinks ???....anyone going to the October meet up of Lotties4 who can tape it and bring it along? We can watch it in my motel room (if your tents don't have mod cons) ;D

All the very best to you John, and best wishes for a successful year for you and your wife.

Lishka

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2006, 09:34:33 »

Hi Money_Bunny,I'm sorry for up setting your family,but it was not on today as we thought it might be. All I can say is the programme is on again next week,and that Tuesday and Thursday have something to do with using, space, or gardening. Apart from that we don't know when it's on either. It just said The Secrets of Suburbia which I did for SKY 1 back in June 2005. Thank you once again for showing your interest in what I'm doing,fingers crossed it's on next week. John. J.R.P.

No problem John, We'll keep looking out for ir and did enjoy the programme that was shown anyway. Makes a change to be able to get control of the Tv remote lol
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2006, 23:22:10 »
;DHi ALL,it was on at 6pm on the 23-5-2006,and again on the 24-5-2006 at 6am,which I thought would have shown more about the way I do things after spending nearly the whole day filming,but 10 minutes was allowed for each section of the programme,which after editing changed the context of what I said to fit what some people are like,who like to be so different,it became laughable,which I did not know about when I said they could help me to promote me and my ideas.
For a start my names is Pendergast not P(r)endergast,and I live in Eltham in Greenwich not Dartford in Kent,and when I said that I can grow things in the desert,this was said in the context of an example along with other ways. And for me to say that no matter what happen I will not give up my re-use of waste project,was said when I had most of the old folk allotment plot holders against what I was using my allotment plot for,and they were doing things to try and get me off it in many different ways,which I'm pleased to say has died down now. Apart from that it did show me and some of my ideas off to others which someone might have found of interest,which we enjoyed anyway,which I hope others did too. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2006, 00:32:21 »
;D Hi All,for those who are interested in container gardening I've just put the benefits of using my very simple to make transportable recycling container system on my website,as it's to do with water and other things which you might like to know about. John. J.R.P.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal