Author Topic: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)  (Read 179312 times)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
Re: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2005, 16:11:29 »
hi all, JRP,

I think that debate and bouncing around new ideas is a good thing and we are fortunate that the internet including forums allows us to do that whatever physical and social barriers exist so thats all good. I think that here JRP is preaching to the converted and as a group we are actively practising a range of green ideas applicable to our own circumstances.

It matters how ideas are presented and how debate is conducted. On the net we have to take things at face value so it is important to consider how we may be perceived by our audience especially if we have anything really really important to express. I think that people here have an understanding of social and environmental issues. We know these things are really really important. I can listen more carefully if I`m not shouted at. I`ll lean towards a person who whispers.

I`m proud of the things I do that are innovative and that challenge me, I`m happy with my old sheds and things I do on the allotment. I`m quietly proud of the huge physical efforts I put into moving things around by bike or on foot or building some thing to achieve some self-set goal. I work to my limits and sometimes I edge past them. I`m sure that my life isn`t much different to other peoples. But we aren`t drawing attention to ourselves. Myself, I really don`t want an audience. I have a website, I made it, its there, look if you like. Thats as far as I go.

If all the people on this forum and others like it are doing a little then collectively we are doing a lot. We know the issues and we are active in finding solutions. Our quiet little lives are part of the solution and the search for solutions. We are happy to be challenged and to explore new ideas.
We may need a well-earned break to recharge our batteries from time to time but don`t mistake that as resting on our laurels.

best wishes, seasons greetings, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2005, 16:26:19 »
Firstly the beeb boards have to be complained about to get attention, thats how they are ran.
- i meant after complaining- they wont do much about it.

johns system saves massive amounts of water, and makes use of otherwise barren land by working above the soil, i agree its not as applicable in this country (apart from poor soil, rooftop gardens or low lying land susceptible to ground frost), BUT shipping may not be as expensive as you think, in practice, freight and passenger flights and ships always have wasted capacity, which could be charitably donated, for absolutely anything, this is an idea in itself that could save millions in logistics costs for all global charities, like oxfam for example. I agree though that if it were my project shipping would be the first issue to resolve.

Merry Christmas all,
John (Mac)
I LOVE OP AMPS!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2005, 16:32:51 »
ah, well i suppsoe if you did complain then that is different.

yes, maybe johns idea will work on poor soils but i dont liek the approach of trying to get people to do it in this country!

as for shipping, it is expenisve, to send a B747 to southern africa filled with bottles and pallets would use as a quick guess at least 10,000 kilos of kerosine. Kerosine is very very high in carbon. i woiuld say jet fuel is about £1.50 a kilo, think thats about right.   so you would be looking at £15,000 per aircraft to fly it!

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2005, 18:18:46 »
But as i just suggested, you dont have to, and if the plane flys/ship sails anyway...
I LOVE OP AMPS!

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2006, 13:10:00 »
ANOTHER NEW IDEA AFTER 10pm TO DAY, to do with container gardening.
www.recycling.moonfruit.com designed to help save lives. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2006, 00:25:03 »
Hi every one,may I put forward another new idea of mine that you may like to build,made by re-using 6 or 4 pint milk containers like I already do,but this time I'm growing things upwards.
For example,against a wall or a fence,simply done by using 3-8ft bean canes which you sink into the ground to a depth of say one foot at the fat end of course,in a row a quarter of an inch apart in a straight line facing away from you.
You then get your 6 or 4 pint milk container with the bottom cut back towards the handle end to leave about two inches not cut,the rest you fold in.
Next you get a fat Phillips screwdriver or something with a point sharp enough to make 3 holes in a row along the 2 inch strip section at the top of the bottom of your upside down milk container,so that the ends of the upright canes can go through it, after you have made 1 hole in what would be the top part of the handle in line with the bottom handle inner hole,with 2 other holes one on each side of the handle where it sticks out at the bottom of the handle.
What you should have now is a 6 or 4 pint milk container with 6 holes made in it 3 at the top which are in line with 3 at the bottom when the container is upside down.
You then slide the container over the ends of your 3 canes until it reaches the ground surface.
You then do the same thing with another container of the same type,but this one must be facing away from the first one resting on where the handle part comes in contact,this you do so that you have more on the side where the first one touches the ground,than the other side.
This way will give you a space to grow something in,about a foot apart using 5-7 containers going up your canes to make any layout where you want to grow something,this way will mean every one now can grow things upwards.
You can also make a square shape with your canes using 8 canes sunk into the ground if you want to get to what you are growing from all sides,what would look like a cross from the top view or you can have as many as you want in rows along side each other.
This you can do like I do now with a flat length of wood past through all the handle space to give it strength.
What I will try to do is put some photos on my website for you,so you can see what I've made,but I don't know when,as I've got no more space left on it.
If you have any problems please let me know and I will sort it out. Thank you for taking the time to read my message. May you all live long and happy. John. JRP.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2006, 09:12:34 »
HI JRP, HI all  :D

I`m finding it hard to picture this one, I think its a tower of milk containers held together with canes.

I have ideas for growing strawberries vertically this year, probably in guttering as someone demonstrated last year. I have access to loads of milk containers. This idea could make a strawberry tower thingy if I make a big pyramid.

Thanks JRP

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2006, 16:45:26 »
nope, cant picture it either.  Could you maybe post some pictures please JRP?

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2006, 23:40:02 »
Hi Col,Hi Adam, yes I'm going to put some photos on my website,but I've got to take some of my other photos off first, because I've got no more room left on my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com as you will see.
Yes it does look like a tower,and it looks like a step ladder too,it will be great for growing strawberries,and herbs,to name a few,what I forgot to tell you was,where the cap toughs the ground, you must have something flat so that you can undo or do up the cap at the bottom of your first base container,plus it stops the base container from sinking into the ground too.
I have built some of my towers 14 containers high using just 4 canes of setting each pair which work OK too,but you must keep the container weight even,or it will bend to the point it will break at the bottom in strong winds.You must also remember to keep every thing as straight as you can because of the weight you may have the higher you go,you will find it's best to work up the cane slowly to find the ideal weight,remembering you can use other cane to keep it from moving about,which it won't do if you use the metal green poles you can by at B&Q or Sainburys Homebase,if it does full down using bean canes it will only break of at the bottom,so you could still make a lower one using the same canes, OK. have fun it works so you won't be wasting your time. John. JRP.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2006, 23:05:03 »
Hi Col,Hi Adam,and to any one else who is interested in the way I do things,I've just put 2 photos on my website to show you what I have made, which I believe have never been made before,so please be one of the first people to take a look at something different on my website,www.recycling.moonfruit.com under THINGS TO MAKE. As seeing is believing,when it comes to something new. John. JRP.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 23:24:34 by JRP »

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2006, 11:02:51 »
right, your gonna have to sit down for this...

this is the first idea of JRP's that i like.  Not because its saving lives as he says but cos its an effective and cheap way of making hanging baskets etc. so there said it. well done John.

Think i need a lye down now  ;D

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2006, 23:07:34 »
right, your gonna have to sit down for this...

this is the first idea of JRP's that i like.  Not because its saving lives as he says but cos its an effective and cheap way of making hanging baskets etc. so there said it. well done John.

Think i need a lye down now  ;D

Hi Adam,thank you very much, you have made my day,this proves to me that I was not wasting my time then. After having over 14,500 hits on my website that my ideas can be of some use. My you live long and happy. John. JRP.

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2006, 12:01:00 »
How much do you spend on compost filling the cartons?
Surely in many third world areas if you supplied them with this system it would be too hot and dry. Many places have difficulties because of drought and these cartons would need watering regularly, also being relatively small they would dry out quite quickly in the heat. ???
I want to be clear that I am very impressed with the idea these are just a couple of points which confuse me.
Personally I would consider doing something like this, well maybe not a whole plot just some plants that I feel may do just as well as they would in the ground, if I get an allotment close to me as the soil here is very heavy clay which is a pain to dig and I get loads of empty milk cartons.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 12:17:36 by stuffed »

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2006, 00:18:45 »
How much do you spend on compost filling the cartons?
Surely in many third world areas if you supplied them with this system it would be too hot and dry. Many places have difficulties because of drought and these cartons would need watering regularly, also being relatively small they would dry out quite quickly in the heat. ???
I want to be clear that I am very impressed with the idea these are just a couple of points which confuse me.
Personally I would consider doing something like this, well maybe not a whole plot just some plants that I feel may do just as well as they would in the ground, if I get an allotment close to me as the soil here is very heavy clay which is a pain to dig and I get loads of empty milk cartons.

Hi,thank you for showing your interest in my way of growing things to eat.
I'm not very good with words,but here goes.
I buy a 45 litre multi purpose compost from B&Q for £5-50.
What I would do if the land was dry,I would lay down 50 - 6 pint milk containers all interlocked like a zip does, as my base containers on their carrying beams,I would then pile up the dry soil to cover all the outer container sides,leaving about 2 inches showing,with their caps done up.
In to them I would put another 50 more 6- pint or 4 pint milk containers,which you can take in and out at any time with either crops in or with a 2 litre bottomless bottle in with what ever crop you are growing,adding what ever water there is to either the bottomless bottle with the crop in,to then undo or do up the cap at the bottom of it,so that any water can then go into what ever container you put that into. For example a 4 pint  to then undo the cap to recycle what ever water there is to then drip into the top one again to water the crop until there's no more water left,laid out this way it would look like a raised up bed for growing things in, I would then put what ever was at hand to cover my containers,a sheet or rags any thing which would help to stop any water from evaporating.
In the third world they have their own way of growing things,no B&Q,,but they use what they know works for them which they can put into my containers like we use compost to get a end result,which I'm sure you will get what ever scale you decide to make,like I have with very little gardening knowledge my self.
If you want to know more please post here again,which may help others too. Power to the people who are doing their bit to help reduce some of our waste going into landfill sites,may you live long and happy too. John. JRP.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 00:26:45 by JRP »

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2006, 11:10:45 »
Just out of interest why do you leave the bottom of the container on as a flap rather than cutting it off entirely. I presume there is a practical reason I just can't figure out what it is ??? ???

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2006, 19:35:25 »

plastic container,and unwanted wooden pallets
too.

Hi JRP
I've been following this with interest and listening to the descriptions of your ideas but when I visit your website your images (not the thumbs) are just too small to work out whats going on. Any chance of some bigger pics at the next re-write

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2006, 23:25:35 »
Just out of interest why do you leave the bottom of the container on as a flap rather than cutting it off entirely. I presume there is a practical reason I just can't figure out what it is ??? ???

Hi again,thank you for asking,the reason I leave all my flaps on is,when I fold them back so they stand up they move about in the wind or bang against any canes I have in the inside handle hole,which helps to keep the birds away. They can also help to protect the crop from the wind too.
If you want to know more please post again here. John.JRP.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2006, 23:30:47 »

too.

Hi JRP
I've been following this with interest and listening to the descriptions of your ideas but when I visit your website your images (not the thumbs) are just too small to work out whats going on. Any chance of some bigger pics at the next re-write

Hi Glow 777,thank you for showing your interest in the way I do things.
Have you tried clicking on them to make them larger. John. JRP.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2006, 08:06:58 »

too.

Hi JRP

Hi Glow 777,thank you for showing your interest in the way I do things.
Have you tried clicking on them to make them larger. John. JRP.

yep hence the "not the thumbs" bit in my text - seems like some very good ideas spoilt by poor presentation. Although the website design is also very good it doesnt deliver the content eg the pictures very well.

The full size pics (in the m/flash box) are about 335 X 215 dpi. I would think these need to be at least 640 X 480. Or is this just me?

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2006, 10:32:36 »
I would have to agree pictures could do with being a bit bigger.
Thanks for the reply abouth the flaps it makes sense now :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal