Author Topic: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)  (Read 182015 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2007, 18:11:43 »

You wanna watch him you know ... I'm a good friend of Sue Barker and she's got a few tales to tell.

You cannot leave us like this........can you? ::)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2007, 18:15:56 »
I have testimony from a few ball-boys! It's going to be an EXPLOSIVE article in The Sun prior to Wimbledon Week. Watch this space  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2007, 18:26:32 »
  ;D Hi JRP! I'm not using any of your ideas 'yet' because I've lost my whetstone to sharpen my hatchets! A right shame .... I'll find it yet though!

Did Sir Cliff ever answer your mails about your unique digging ideas?

You wanna watch him you know ... I'm a good friend of Sue Barker and she's got a few tales to tell.

Hi Trixiebelle, NO sir Cliff never did he must of had his hands full. ::) ;D .
May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.  ;D
www.recycling.moonfruit.com designed to help save lives. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2007, 00:12:40 »
Hi ALL,if your interested in the way I do things,and if you are using my plastic container system idea. What's happening my own potatoes top leaves are now starting to come up through my compost, which were bought from ASDAs which I put in on the 30-12-2006,so I've decided to make up a lot of extension sleeves to fit inside my 4 or 6 pint cut upside down milk containers,so that I can earth them up so to speak another 4 inches like you would do to get more potatoes. All I've done is to cut off the round part with the cap on from the base just below the handle, so when it's fitted inside another 4 or 6 pinter it rests on the inside flat part of the milk container so that the handle hole meets forming a seal,I can then add more compost as the potato plant grows. I've saved the cut off section to use for putting some seeds in, as it rests on the cap ok. My lettuce seedlings are also coming up ok sown in chinese take away flat plastic containers which were sown on the 23-2-2007, Cos and little gem,going by how many seedling I've got I should be able to grow at least 200 of each easily in just two pallet sections with two growing in each container like I did last year. My community project is going well now we are up and running,this year we hope to make some headlines as a group of people who are interested in growing things like hearbs and other things,which the local community can help them selves to when the lerning centre is open if they want fresh herbs at any time, if they have not got a garden for example. Plus we have a creche for people who are learning things so we are going to get their children to grow things too,and then put them in to our containers outside in the back yard area to grow on,designed for all ages. Which are fixed to the railings going around the yard to save using the play or seating area we intend to use in the summer. The local lady vicar is also going to have the same idea going around the back of the church so the people who use her church and the hall can grow things too. Like Age Concern. I will try to get some other people to talk about our project to you on this forum as it would be nice to hear what they had to say good or bad,like some people already do on here.
May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John.J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2007, 00:55:42 »
 ;D  Hi ALL,I've just finished putting my last potatoes in with a bit of growth on them into my 4 pinters and 2 litre bottles,and I've just emptied out 80 small potatoes from my 5th pallet section on the left hand side of my plot,sown on the 8-2-2006 YES, 8-2-2006,a bit small and they have started to put out roots too but they are ok.
This makes my total of containers with potatoes in 450,that should keep us going until my family give me some more potatoes they were going to throw away,bought from ASDAs. If you look at my plot photos you will see 5 pallets sections on the left side,and 3 front middle ones,these are my A-B-C sections with my D section one behind my A section from left to right,my E-F sections have strawberries growing in them on their bottom section.My newly made extension sleeves are working great with the top leaves now coming through in my 4 pinters already, sown on the 30-12-2006. I can't wait to see what crop I will get. ;D May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John.J.R.P.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 01:49:34 by JRP »

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2007, 21:36:58 »
Some ideas for you:

1. Old cans - particularly small ones used for canned fish - cut in strips and use for supporting glass panes in a greenhouse.

2. Old engine oil - use instaed of creosote on sheds

3. Not a very green approach but - put boxes and documents through a shredder and then into teh compost heap. Worms seem to like the paper layer.

4. Newspaper and cardboxes - cut into small pieces and place in bottom of trench where runner beans are to be grown - retains water.

5. Plastic drain pipe - cut into a long thin piece and use a blades for wind turbine.

6. Old electric motor - use as generator on wind turbine.

7. Police tape at accident - use as birdscarer.

8. Old video tape - tie very tightly between posts - very good bird scarer - move and makes a noise in teh wind.

9. Plastic bottles on sticks - agin bird scarer -keeps pigeons off brassicae.

10. Pollard trees to produce free bean poles rather than buying bamboo.

11. Plastic wrapped around furniture - draped over sticks - amkes an effective warm area for cucumber etc

12. Roof lath - very good pea sticks

13. Bubble plastic - heat sink in cold frames

14. Drinks bottles painetd in matt black - heat sink in greenhouse.

15. Wool carpet - suppresses weeds until plot is ready to be cultivated - short term use only.
Carpet will rot and then can be put into compost bin.

16. Clothes such as wool and cotton will rot in a compost bin.

17. Plastic boxes - particularly margerine tubs make very good seed tray labels when cut into short strips.

18. Plastic bottles with both top and bottom removed - cut into a long collar - give plant protection from mice rabbits and deer (a real problem where we are - even in a town).

19. Old tights or cycle inner tubes - good for tethering small trees.

20. Old drain pipes - can make an effective flag pole or a pole for munting a small wind turbine.

21. Scaffolding on building always means cable ties - these can be re-used and will find 100's of uses on a plot.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2007, 01:04:36 »
Hi Davee52UK,thank you for sharing your ideas with us.
May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2007, 15:58:56 »
some great recycling tips - what is it about lottie holders and recycling - they definetly seem to go together
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2007, 00:49:59 »
;D Hi Okra,I think it's just because we are down to earth people who like to do things in our own ways.
May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2007, 01:08:14 »
;D Hi ALL,another update,I've just finished putting 150 Little Gem lettuce seedlings into my (J) section pallet, and about 500 mixed carrot seedlings too,I've also put 190 Cos lettuce seedlings into my (O) section pallet, plus another 100 carrot seedings too. Today I've undone a bit my upright container caps, so they drip feed the ones bellow at my Community learning centre project, which is closed to my other helpers because of a Easter break.
With this in mind I hope you and yours all have a happy Easter. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2007, 10:20:03 »
;DHi ALL,please join me in my latest experiment to see if you do get more potatoes if you keep earthing up your potato plant stems and leaves.
Simply done by using a container,for example a flower pot will do,simply do what you would normally do,but when the green leaves start to come through your compost add another bigger flower pot on top with the bottom cut out to fit inside the rim of the lower one to form a sleeve extension,earthing up each time and adding a sleeve again until you decide to stop or the plant stops growing any higher.
The reason I'm asking you to join me is I'm already doing it my way with 4 pint waste milk containers for the first time this year, and it's looking ok, I just simply cut off the lower cap part at the widest part and slide it down inside another, and earth up with my compost.
If I do get more potatoes doing it this way I can see a lot of people with not a lot of space growing potatoes this way in the future,done by simply adding a extension sleeve system like I've done to my containers on my allotment plot. It's just another outside the box idea of mine I would like to share with you, which you might find of interest to try out to see what your end result will be on a small or large scale,please let me know how you get on. May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.  ;D

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2007, 01:51:52 »
;D Hi ALL, if you went to see or exhibited something growing at the CHELSEA FLOWER SHOW this year or in the past, would you like to see the way I grow things exhibited there, as I've been sent an invite to next years show, because my projects are to do with saving lives, reusing waste, and growing things, which all come under the heading 'Gardening with Climate Change'. Of cause I wont the answer to be Yes, and the reason why, but if you don't then say so, and the reason why, as they say it's good to talk if it helps to solve a problem. May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2007, 15:19:11 »
So what's the problem to be solved JRP?
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2007, 16:13:27 »
Beats me, I don't even understand the question?
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2007, 18:18:44 »
I'm lost, who's lives are you saving. ? ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2007, 18:33:19 »
Catch up.  Even I can make it out.

John, if you want maximum publicity, then I'd say go for it.  They must be interested to send the invite.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2007, 18:33:37 »
You know,I just read this again,I am not a lot wiser,but , I would enjoy seeing JRP's exhibit next year.I thin k that would be very interesting, truly.

I think I read it right when he said he has already received an invitation to exhibit there next year, after that I get a bit lost, is he asking for our opinion on wether he should enter.

JRP, will you clarify this for me please

XX Thank you Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2007, 18:37:41 »
That's how I read it.   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2007, 18:44:11 »
Emaggie and Jennine, John wants to know if people want him to accept the invite he has for next years Chelsea flower show.
Cornykev, John has a system of growing crops in empty plastic milk bottles which he thinks can save the people in lands with famine etc. Here is his website
http://www.recycling.moonfruit.com/
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2007, 18:59:37 »
Just can't understand him wanting our opinions.  Surely nobody would refuse an invitation to exhibit at the show?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal