Author Topic: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)  (Read 180997 times)

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 15:14:22 »
I am anti-carrier bag at the mo.  It's my latest thing.  I bought a hot pastie for lunch last week and they put it in a serviette, in a paper bag and then in a small carrier bag.  When I gave the carrier back they looked horrified as if it had been contaminated with something nasty.  I now have a couple of nylon shopping bags which scrunch up in my handbag for supermarket trips.  Also wilkos etc do the large bags for 50p that I take for my 'big' shop where as we used to get loads of carriers.
Get with the beat Baggy

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2005, 23:09:43 »
 :)Good News,I'm going to be on SKY TV in the future.
After me being on BBC 2 just by chance,I'm now going to be on SKY TV as part of a documentary,all about suburban Gardening,after already being interviewed and filmed too the other day by the SKY programme makers. I'm also hopeing to be filmed again at Greenwich Park SE10 on the 5-June 2005,where I will be exhibiting my very simple to make transportable recycling system off,as part of a event celebrating World Environment Day. Which is also part of the London Green Lifestyle Show. Which I think will be a great day for all involved,and for those who come to see the exhibitions,produce and entertainment too. Why not come and say hello to me and see my system on a smaller scale which I CAN ?YOU CAN ? make too if your interseted in re-using rubbish,and saving lives too like me. John. JRP.
www.recycling.moonfruit.com designed to help save lives. John. J.R.P.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 23:03:35 »
 :)My website looks better now?
To every one who has visited my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com in the past,I have changed a few things to make it look better,I hope you agree. John.JRP.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2005, 00:09:02 »
;D I agree  ;D much easier on the eye, ;) well done ;)

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2005, 20:48:20 »
Didn't see it before but have just looked and it's great  :) Great idea to plant things in plastic containers. Is it worth contacting people like Lenny Henry who pioneer to "make poverty history" to see if they can help with developing your ideas?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2005, 22:15:47 »
Didn't see it before but have just looked and it's great  :) Great idea to plant things in plastic containers. Is it worth contacting people like Lenny Henry who pioneer to "make poverty history" to see if they can help with developing your ideas?

I think you will find JRP has been in touch with a lot of famous names linked to charity but it fell on deaf ears, ::) even the likes of Bob Geldof, take a look, you must scroll down to "No help from"
http://www.recycling.moonfruit.com/

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 18:13:19 »

I think you will find JRP has been in touch with a lot of famous names linked to charity but it fell on deaf ears, ::) even the likes of Bob Geldof, take a look, you must scroll down to "No help from"
http://www.recycling.moonfruit.com/

Perhaps they're not that keen on airlifting used pallets and plastic bottles (OUR land-fill problem ::) ) to another part of our planet - which just might have a more realistic perspective on priorities?  :)

All best - Gavin

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2005, 00:10:10 »
"my allotment plot was not the type of allotment plot that they were looking for. It was not bizarre enough"

Art

Why do the TV companies need bizarre???!!!!!   Do they think all people who have allotments are freaks!!!!!!

Before I throw anything away I always look at it's recycling potential.   Some of things I do so far to recycle:

1.   I get pallets from local companies which are being turned into raised beds on plot.   
2.   Two litre fizzy drink bottles become cloches
3.   Large milk cartons become finials, so too do drink cans
4.   Water from my veg steamer when cool is given to my plants in the back yard, so too is the water used to boil eggs.
5.   Pot noodle pots, yoghurt pots, used drink cups from work (free & unlimited) make excellant plant pots.  ice cream containers, marg cartons etc.   You name it I can most likely use it.
6.   A pair of old wellies are happily supporting surfinias and trailing fuschia (winston churchill)
7.   I have started walking the mile to my local supermarket for my "big" shop.   I have a large knapsack for my shopping plus I can carry one bag per hand so it also limits what I can buy.   I get some exercise & I'm not using the car.
8.   Any journey under three miles I now either walk, cycle or use the bus.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2005, 23:05:56 »
 :)Hi Carrot Crunch,it's nice to know there are other people doing their own thing to help reduce some of our waste going into landfill sites in the uk. Keep up the good work. Please take a look at my website,if you haven't ready done so, www.recycling.moonfruit.com as you already re-use plastic containers and wooden pallets to grow things. Which you may find of interest to you.  John. JRP. 

PeteA

• I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2005, 09:37:52 »
My compost bins, raised beds and my shed were all constructed from material gathered from skips. I got all my tools from the local tip.

For those interested in recycling as much as possible search for Freecycle on the web. I have got rid of surplus paint, wallpaper etc and acquired a water butt by this method.

Pete

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2005, 17:55:53 »
 :)Hi every one who knows about me,now is the time to please tell the world on my behalf that there is a system that works,which can help in the fight against world poverty. To those who think I'm wasting my time on trying to save lives and reduce waste too,you are very much in the minority,as there are far more people who do care about others,who want to do their bit to help make poverty history in some way,like Sir Bob Geldof for example he is just one person out of thousands who won't give up like me,no matter what you say,if we can save just one life,it's got to be worth it.
To those who would like to know,I will be on TV again on the 6 January 2006 SKY one. It's all about the Secret Life of Suburbia made by Shine TV for SKY TV. filmed in June this year 2005. John. JRP.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 13:29:57 by JRP »

felicitysky

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 16:24:24 »
Hi all. I am just about to start a local recycling campaign to try and get my local council to recycle plastics and just wondered what methods "Wardy" had used. To everyone else, please don't give up, if your local council doesn't recycle certain materials such as plastics keep on writing to them, contact your local Mp, try and get as many people in you area to write to them as well. If you have time do a petition, set up a stall, what about writing to good old Blair, if enough people do that perhaps he would consider enforced recycling. If you have the time and ambition a self run recycling initiative could be set up in your area, there is financial assistance available. The following websites may be useful: www.cred.rswt.org, http://www.campaignstrategy.org/. Good luck and please reply to let me know what methods you have used etc. Thanks

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 23:26:58 »
 :(Another month gone by?
Hi every one who would like to know what I've been doing since I last posted. I've been showing some old folk the way I grow things with the help of AGE CONCERN on a voluntary basis,with 5 more community complex associations to visit in the ELTHAM LONDON SE9 area,which I hope will help spread the word about the way I re-use plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets to grow things.
I,ve also been harvesting my peas,broad beans,runner beans,french beans,potatoes,lettuces,and my strawberries to name a few,with still lots more crops to pick,for example 150 tomato plants in 3 sections on my half plot,which are Money Maker,Ailsa Craige,and Garden Delight,which are now getting plenty of water they need due to the rain we are having,which does not stop me from going onto my plot because nothing is grown in the ground.
That's why I can carry 5 rows of my containers with their crops in with me to show every one,in the boot of my car,to then put them all back where they came from at the end of the day,after they have been exhibited in doors or out side to show just how much you can grow in such a small space if you want to.
By the way has any body tried my way of doing things yet? To know what you have been reading about please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com ,to make photos larger please click on them.Thank you. John JRP.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 23:41:42 by JRP »

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 17:49:50 »
I've decided to join in with recycling and in future will not empty my Norton Protected Recycle Bin !! Hope this helps!!! :) :) ;) you have to have a laugh as well.
Kev
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 17:51:54 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 20:09:19 »
i dont see how this works: can someone explain. to me saving pallets mean that companys have to buy more timber for new ones so they have to grow and cut dwon trees, not really eco friendly, Also by not recycling bottles more oil has to be mined for more plastic, again wheres the good in that??

Also the soil underneath, wasted! some please explain this concept to me, and what does it have to do with the third world?

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2005, 21:33:55 »
Okay from the top
Wooden pallets are becoming obsolete- plastic ones are ever more common. More timber is taken from forests- not necessarily ones that wont bother to plant new trees, so quite possibly a help to the forestry industry espec if in britain for ours is the worst in europe.
Does your council have plastic recycling facilities- mine sure doesnt- im afraid my plastic is reused or binned. And reusing is in many ways better than recycling as it bypasses processing which is expensive and hard to come by.
JRP,s allotment is a demonstration of how poor soils can be put to good use- using containers reduces water consumption and means that compost nutrients are concentrated to the plant rather than washed below the first foot of soil. In the third world water and soil are scarce and poor, and the only hope of eradicating world poverty is to have poor countries feeding themselves and trading food within their economy. Here in scotland i dont need to conserve so much water as the rain will water my plants and my soil is rather rich, as JRP's probably is too, but he has chosen to replicate a would be veg garden for high drought, poor soil areas.
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2005, 22:34:41 »
No Adam, you save pallets that are in your country (saves you flying them out) that are destined to be destroyed, you can’t recycle plastic milk bottles but you can reuse them and scrape some of the arid soil off of the land, place it in the plastic bottle and tend to the seed you are growing with the minimum amount of water.

I see nothing wrong with that idea, I believe the pallets are supports for the bottles? But I have no doubt that people who are desperate for food would think (or could be taught) of other ways of supporting these bottles and if there was a shortage, what better way to recycle than to send them by air ,land or sea? (Light as a feather)

I really don’t understand why people knock new ideas particularly ideas that are designed to help people who are suffering.

Might be a good idea to rethink where you will be throwing your next bit of spare cash?

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/

P.S. Well said Mac

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2005, 22:40:52 »
Yeh you younguns have plenty of disposable income

How about adopt-a-mac? :D
I LOVE OP AMPS!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005, 22:45:14 »
our local council has had plastic recycling bins at every home for at least 8 years also previously rthere were hge bins every mile or so where you could put them, also on the pallet thing to be honest i havnt seen many plastic pallets, and there people who use pallets alot ho i knwo dont seem to ever use plastic ones.

ok, i do kind of understand this but where are third world countries meant to get 9,000 plastic bottles per family? even town?

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2005, 22:47:02 »
you can’t recycle plastic milk bottles

who said that, why not, everyone i know recycles theres.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal