Author Topic: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)  (Read 179306 times)

JRP

• Acre
New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)
« on: March 09, 2005, 23:09:03 »
 :)Hi every one,if you want to see a allotment plot that's made from at least 9,000 waste plastic containers, and a lot of unwanted wooden pallets. Please take a look a my own website www.recycling.moonfruit.com there you will see lots of photo proof of what I have done,and the way I do things. Designed by me to help save lives and to also help to reduce some of our waste plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets going in to landfill sites. To find out more please post here. If you are interested in recycling and saving lives too. John JRP.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 13:16:36 by JRP »
www.recycling.moonfruit.com designed to help save lives. John. J.R.P.

ken (69)

• Acre
Re: New Recycling Ideas(I CAN? CAN YOU?)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:12:07 »
Couldn't view your site, John, something to do with Active x and this computer security system, but am heavy into recycling..what's that phrase..re-use,recycle, don't buy in the first place.Figure my dry  bin will need emptying every 6 months.PS what do I do with one litre waxed milk cartons,complete with re-sealable flip lid?

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:09:43 »
We have kerbside recycling for cans, bottles, clothing etc but not plastic although our council do provide facilities for recycling plastic bottles etc at the local 'tip' - just defeats the object having to drive there to take them.
 We manage to use most of them for something. One of our dogs is expert plastic bottle crusher (2year old german shep born with urge to collect and crush pop bottles etc) - he even finds them while we're out walking and chrunches them flat so at least any spares don't take up much room storing them!! May have to hire him out...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 12:41:41 »
Wow! Great site and very very interesting!  I cut my plassy milk polybottles up into plant labels.  Ava uses them as nut/bolt/screw/nail containers in the garage with the tops cut off ala Tommy Walshe.  Small plassy bottles and the tops from my fabric softner all go down to the plot as cane covers to save my eyes.  Plastic veggie trays that things like mushrooms come in end up in the greenhouse as seed trays, seed tray covers or pot holders.  I hate throwing away plastic  and polystyrene and try to use it as much as possible before it ends up in the bin.  Polystyrene goes in the bottom of my pots as 'crocks'.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 21:42:52 »
I guess I'm lucky where I am, as there's a mini-recycling centre by the gates of the allotments so any plastic or glass bottles get popped in as I go for a dig!
We also have kerbside paper and glass, and there's an aluminium can bank at work so I never need to make special journeys to recycle. I think this is how it should be.

I recycle every scrap of card or paper that doesn't have personal data on (they get burnt), compost all the veg matter, so I reckon we've got the household throwaway rubbish down to half a sack a week now.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 01:08:20 »
Ive recycled about 20 used pallets this week, bl**dy hard work it was seperating them but i managed it. Now have a lovely level, if not slightly wonky, pallet fence to stop next plots cockerals running a mock on my plot.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 14:06:54 »
Hi North Country Boy. It's nice to know that there is someone else re-using unwanted wooden pallets in a practical way to build a fence around their allotment plot.
But in Greenwhich S E London. The Parks and Open spaces people say that no allotment plot should have a fence going round it. Even though I have visited some allotment plot sites which have got the large tennis court wiring  and metal post cemented into the ground and what looks like a chalet built on the plot too. The reason I was allowed to have my uprights on my pallet sections was because I told the council they were part of my system for growing things from being on the base to being used higher up.
This I had to fight for and won against all the objections made by other allotment plot holders,who said that they did not agree with what I was doing,and the way I was doing it. To the point of telling me to my face that they wanted me off my rented allotment plot as I was not using the land for what it was intended for,even though they will quite happly use the edges of my pallet section to scrape the mud of their boots. Which of course I do not have to do. John JRP.

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 11:00:27 »
Sorry to hear about that JRP, my allotments allow any sized fence as long as the committee can see into it. I have a pallet high fence with some plastic meshing going up another 3 foot, to stop my chickens straying.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 23:03:29 »
 :)My ideas on how to re-use plastic containers of many shapes and sizes to scare birds away,if you are trying to protect your crops.
To do this you can use any plastic container with a screw on cap,this is used as a pivoting device,putting into or through canes of different lengths and sizes. Which I will now tell you how to do,to add to what's already being made by gardeners now to scare birds away.
(1) First choose your plastic container with a screw on cap.
(2) Then you decide what type of pivoting device you want to make for example. One that pivots in a upright position all the time or one that varies on turning.
My basic one to make is a container with it's bottom cut completely off,with 4 or 8 holes made in it 2 on each side in a straight line,big enough for your bean cane end to pass through. Made with a pointed tool of some sort,for example a phillips screwdriver. Putting the cane end through first at the thinner end until you have the length you want sticking out on each side of your container. You do this 2 or 4 times,ending up with what looks a aerial device,when it's put on top of another garden bean cane with the fatter end stuck in the ground. You should now have a pivoting container device spinning on top of your cane in contact with the inside of your container cap,and in-between the 2 or 4 sections of wood you can see from the bottom ,forming a trap area so that the pivoting device does not come off in the wind.
(3)The next thing to do is to decide what you are going to have hanging from your cane arms sticking out from your pivoting container device. Such as a number of containers tied in rows done so they bang together or they can be made from cans or containers will do the same thing. The cans have string tied on the ring pull bit or containers have a hole made in the middle of the screw on cap,to then have a length of string passed through it,with a large knot at one end to stop it pulling through,also tied on in rows. Or you can use old plastic shopping bags cut in half to act like a flag does in the wind. Cutting lots of strips in each bag section first to make even more noise in the wind,and movement.
(4) If you want to protect higher and lower crops at the same time on each turn,just simply make holes in the container at the angle that you need,instead of straight across. Remembering that you must have all your canes at equal distance apart on each side of your container so that it does not bang against the wood on the inside of your container,which of course will happen a bit when the wind trys to pass your long or short arms of cane with what ever you have hanging down from them,remembering to protect your self from the cane ends by putting something like another container or can over them to stop you poking your eyes out.
My pivoting container device can be also used at any height and it should work in the slightist of wind too. Which all of my many pivoting containers did,when I covered my whole allotment plot area with them,to show others what I made they could make too.
If you have any troubles making my bird scarer please post here. I will try to put some photo proof of what I have made in the past on to my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com ,even though I don't need them my self. John JRP.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 22:04:32 by JRP »

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 22:28:55 »
 :(It's a sad day for me?
Another sad day for me and my life saving recycling ideas. Why. Because after speaking to a very understanding man going by the name of Mr Huw Slipper who helps to make the Paul O'Grady show on ITV. He had to inform me that my allotment plot was not the type of allotment plot that they were looking for. It was not bizarre enough even though my allotment plot is made completely from waste plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets too. With a themed approach to no digging gardening,as I only use 3 tools. A sharp knife,a crowbar,and a claw-hammer to make my transportable system work.
The shame part was he said that he could not get onto my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com ,because it was so advanced compared to the ITV one. But what he did say if they ever did a bit about recycling he would contact me,and then put the phone down. This was after me trying to tell him all about what I was doing and the way I was doing it.
Which if he had got to see my website I would not have had to say so much in the short amount of time he had to listen to me.
Which I'm sure won't be a waste of time at the end of the day. John JRP.

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 16:01:15 »
Thats a shame John, I find your gardening way innvovative and interesting as well as unusal and I'm sure lots of people would be interested in seeing it.  I also had no problems looking at your website, although reading some of the text over images is extremely difficult.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 23:09:55 »
 :)My Transportable recycling system works.
A message to those who want to know?
The reson why I bother to re-use recycle plastic containers and wooden pallets are. About 10 years ago I decided to re-use my rubbish to make things as a inventor for proto types,which I have a filed patent for,but I can't afford to take it any further. So I decided to invent something which any one can make,to help reduce waste plastic containers of all shapes and sizes going into landfill sites,along with unwanted wooden pallets too,which are thrown away every day,which the Government backs and the borough Council do too if there is money involved.
But because my ideas are new,and there is no money involved,I'm struggling to get people to use them,even though my main aim is to help save lives,not in this country so much but in the third world. Which if you have read any thing about me is what I'm trying to do in different ways,growing food to eat is just one way that works for me,which I thought I would share with the rest of the world,which money can't buy as I'm offering it for free to any one who wants to make my simple transportable system,whether it's in the UK or any where else,as it's made from rubbish.
The simple concept  of my transportable system is,rows of plastic milk containers on a carrying support made from wood,which is passed through the handle space of each container which are all upside down and cut around the bottom faceing away from each other on oppsite sides,4 containers being the smallist amount to self stand,10 being the amount I use as my base main containers. In them you can put,the same size container again with some compost in or a smaller cut milk container with a bottomless clear plastic bottle inside that,which you put compost or soil in,and what ever you decide to grow.
At this point I would like to say to you all. What you see in the way of photo proof on my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com ,I have grown and eaten with my family and friends,which I've also grown with very little gardening knowledge my self,So if I can feed my self any one can. I say to you all please don't knock something until you have at least tried it out,remembering if you do decide to stop the way I do things,it can all be carried away and recycled again. I hope this message has made the picture clearer for some of you. If we all do our bit it will make a difference to our world. John. JRP.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 15:05:28 »
Rubbish going into our landfill sites?
The only way I believe you will ever stop most of our rubbish going into landfill sites,is to involve money. Be it on how much you recycle on a small or large scale your self. Which would mean instead of us paying to have our recyclable rubbish taken away,we would get some money back. Like they did years ago on glass bottles as they were of value,because they can be cleaned and re-used again and again until they get broken,unlike a plastic bottle was made to last for years.
With this in mined if we don't stop it now,it will mean for example starting from to day. If I bought say one plastic container which was biodegradable and it took 1 year to decompose,and I did this every day for 365 days adding one day to my 365 which my first one would take to decompose. Now multiply that by millions each day,and then add the first 365 years onto,to days plastic container. I think you will agree with me that we are wasting our time on this earth if we don't do something now,in what ever way we can. If ever a bomb was dropped on our landfill sites it would burn so much the sky would turn black and the air to poison. Which could happen like it did years ago. John. JRP.

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2005, 23:51:22 »
 :)How to make my simple BIRD FEEDER?
Take any size plastic bottle with a screw on cap,make a hole in the middle of the cap to pass a length of string through,next tie a large knot at one end to stop it pulling through. Next cut 2 or more upside down letter (T) in your bottle oppsite each other,fold inwards to leave a triangle shape with the inner folds nearly touching each other,also fold in the bottom straight bit so the birds don't hurt their feet. Also make some holes in the base to let any rain water out. Fill from the top with bird seeds or nuts and tie up.
Now wait to see the small birds feed,letting the bigger birds pick up what's dropped. To see other things I've made from rubbish please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com , it won't be a waste of your time. John. JRP.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 23:42:45 by JRP »

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 19:49:03 »
9,000 waste plastic containers
All those bottles- you must drink a lot of fizzy! I bet your dentist hates recycling! ;D
I LOVE OP AMPS!

JRP

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 23:32:23 »
 :)GOOD NEWS?
SEE ME, JRP. RECYCLING ON TV BBC2 AT 1-30 pm
13-4-2005 ( WORKING LUNCH ) PROGRAMME.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 23:45:24 by JRP »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 09:05:08 »
:)GOOD NEWS?
SEE ME, JRP. RECYCLING ON TV BBC2 AT 1-30 pm
13-4-2005 ( WORKING LUNCH ) PROGRAMME.

>:( D amn  >:( I missed it  ::) my own stupid fault, ::) forgot to put clocks forward on my VCR :'( been wondering why I've been taping the wrong programmes of late :-[

Don't spose we will get a chance to see a repeat will we? ??? (Although Auntie Beeb is famous for that :o)

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 00:58:49 »
"my allotment plot was not the type of allotment plot that they were looking for. It was not bizarre enough"

Not wanting to be negative about that show, but they would not be interested in an earnestly maintained plot.  They are looking for wacky "ha-ha, ain't Brits crazy!" stuff.  It's an afternoon entertainment show, with no time for consience-rousing journalism.

On the subject of recycling - our council has just stopped collecting cardboard from door-to-door, saying that previous collections were "a communication failure" between collection teams...  Instead they suggest people get into their cars and drive several miles to the recycling centres (run by the same business that won't collect the stuff from my door - where's the eco-sense in that?)  Having said that, the centre does recycle corrugated cardboard and plastic - which door-to-door collections never handled.

For my part I'm encouraging the immediate neighbours to pool together cardboard and plastic to be taken en masse to the recycling centre.  I put all raw veg scraps in my homemade compost heaps, with occasional bits of cardboard.  My rubbbish bin has only used cling film in it and meat scraps (what can ya do with that?) I think :-\

I made old pallets into window boxes a few years ago.  It's a bugger to get the nails out - ended up knocking them through instead.

Garden waste, woody stuff gets put into one of two piles in the garden - fine stuff that birds will rummage through to build their nests with and loggy stuff I add to a habitat pile in the wild section of the back garden.

My partner leaves packaging at the tills when he goes shopping - apparently it's a german habit - most shops don't raise a hair to it and maybe, just maybe the manufacturers will cut back on their packaging.  Why put toothpaste in a carton, when it's already in a sealed tube?  Tubes of acrylic/watercolour/oil paint don't come in a carton, do they now?

Art

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 08:16:25 »
I try very hard not to have any plastic containers as I think the most important word of the mantra "reduce, reuse, recycle" is the first one and so often overlooked.

I try as much as possible not to buy things that come in plastic bottles for example:.  Luckily we have a milkman, and if we run out our local shop does milk in returnable bottles and I use 'solid' shampoo.  When I have to I try and buy the biggest size presuming the ratio of plastic to product is better.

I love the idea of leaving excess packaging behind and intend to start right now!  My local supermarkets have recycling points for their carrier bags, why couldn't they for packaging as well?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 08:28:38 »
My partner leaves packaging at the tills when he goes shopping - apparently it's a german habit - most shops don't raise a hair to it and maybe, just maybe the manufacturers will cut back on their packaging. 

;D Just picturing the traffic jambs in Asda on a busy Saturday when the cashier says "Would you like someone to help with the de-packaging Sir?" ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal