Author Topic: EU proposes ban on traditional seed varieties in response to agri-lobby  (Read 20131 times)

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Done and shared with my allotment site. Also emailed and called NSALG to make sure it hits their radar.

goodlife

• Hectare

Also emailed and called NSALG to make sure it hits their radar.
:icon_thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:21:04 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
Had a look at Garden Organic's website and can't find anything about this.  Have emailed them yesterday and again today to Heritage Seed Library directly.  Hope to get a reply and, more importantly, hope they will get campaining themselves.  That would have a lot of clout behind it.
:icon_thumleft:

goodlife

• Hectare
Are you member in any other forum...please post the link and details about this issue!

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Yes, there's a good thread on allotment.org, which got me started on here yesterday, and I've just signed up to growfruitandveg.co.uk to post there.

Our site Sec has emailed out to all our plotholders too.

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
Passed the petition out onto Facebook...thanks for that link Galina....well done everybody! They kept this Bl***** quiet didn't they!  :BangHead: :blob8: :angryfire:
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Kea

• Hectare
122 423 now. Emailing my allotment association.

goodlife

• Hectare
140 000 is nearly 'done' and the target is now raised to 160 000....lots of more work to be done..and lot of more names to get together..
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:05:39 by goodlife »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Had a positive response from the Manager of Heritage Seed Library.

"I sent a letter to FERA several months ago voicing my concerns on the new legislation and our Development Director is putting together a more general letter in response to the recent press coverage.  This should, I hope be sent and go up on the website and through Social Media in the next few days.

I think the original, marketing of seed to include free distribution may have been removed in the most recent draft."

If it is actually correct what is stated in the last sentence, that changes the picture somewhat.  At least HSL and our own Seed Sharing circle activities etc would still be legal.  I think we all are anxious for confirmation that this isn't wishful thinking but hard fact.  I had not heard of such a change in the text.

goodlife

• Hectare
I think this is the bit you refer..
In order to adapt to the needs of producers and the requirements of flexibility, the
Regulation continues not to apply to plant reproductive material intended for testing
and scientific purposes and intended for breeding purposes. In addition, it should not
apply to material intended to or maintained in gene banks, and networks of
conservation of genetic resources or organisations associated with gene banks as well
as material exchanged in kinds between two persons.

goodlife

• Hectare
This is the whole 'law' http://www.seed-sovereignty.org/PDF/EU_Comm_Draft_on_plant_reprodutive_material.pdf
But it is still WRONG!..they are trying to restrict the handling and selling seeds too much.
If buyer wants all the legal paperworks, labelling etc to full fill the requirements..he/she should buy it from such a source that provide them....not all seed sources should be forced to do same!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
This is the whole 'law' http://www.seed-sovereignty.org/PDF/EU_Comm_Draft_on_plant_reprodutive_material.pdf
But it is still WRONG!..they are trying to restrict the handling and selling seeds too much.
If buyer wants all the legal paperworks, labelling etc to full fill the requirements..he/she should buy it from such a source that provide them....not all seed sources should be forced to do same!

Absolutely agree!!!  It is still WRONG.

Thank you for finding the relevant bit in the text, Goodlife.

As an aside, I am currently doing a course on Equality and Diversity, which includes how we should recognise and celebrate diversity because it enriches us all!   But when it comes to our diverse seeds, it seems the powers that be intend us having no diversity at all and only those seeds are rated that are approved by an ever increasing lobby of ever decreasing 'biotech' companies who want to maximise their earnings.  Sorry, probably absurd comparison and have now stepped off my soapbox. 

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:21:47 by galina »

scottjarvill

that's one more to the petition! now at 136,862 and climbing!

scottjarvill

that's one more to the petition! now at 136,862 and climbing!

I've just signed up to GW and posted this on there also, if they could add some of this to the show tonight that would help spread the word about this also, probably to late but worth a try!

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
If it is passed I think a little bit of 'civil disobedience' will ensue!
I for one will only grow open pollinated and collect seed to distribute to those of us who stick two fingers up at them... :wave:
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
I think this is the bit you refer..
In order to adapt to the needs of producers and the requirements of flexibility, the
Regulation continues not to apply to plant reproductive material intended for testing
and scientific purposes and intended for breeding purposes. In addition, it should not
apply to material intended to or maintained in gene banks, and networks of
conservation of genetic resources or organisations associated with gene banks as well
as material exchanged in kinds between two persons.
What winds me up is..all the 'material' is our heritage...we should have free access to those seeds. Its ok of them being stored, maintained and what ever by different institutions..BUT THEY NEED TO BE 'OUT' AND IN CIRCULATION!!!..like a living heritage..grown ,used and sherished :tongue3: This law is just to restrict more and make money for big commercial businesses.  :BangHead:
I've been looking around net and its nice to see this issue has been raised and noticed by gardeners all over the place. Our grumbling might not reach the right people or make much difference. But what law has been created.. can be changed too. It might take time and lots and lots of more effort, but 'pouring water drop at the time will eventually bring even bigger structures down' :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 15:28:47 by goodlife »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Here is the reaction of the Heritage Seed Library of Garden Organic on their website, with a suggested course of action to request a NO vote from our EU commissioner Catherine Ashton:

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/news/news_topic.php?id=907

One drop at a time ...............  :wave:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Signed. This absurd law sounds like a backhander to a few big corporations like Monsanto which control the global seed market. Effectively it's a restrictive trade practice, done via governments.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Not sure whether this is the right place for the post - apologies to Mods if it's not.

RealSeeds have put up a post about EU proposals to ban traditional seeds and old/rare varieties. This is by DG SANCO and in direct opposition to 2 other DGs (Agricutlural affairs and Environmental affairs)

More info is here http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

We only have until 28 April to make views known to the EU commissioners.

The UK's is Catherine Ashton, wife of Peter Kellner, who runs YouGov. Perhaps they could run a poll....

Will you respond?
I've done my bit too!
Thinking its good to "button-hole"  those desperados aiming to get ones vote come May 2. Least they wont hang around long....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
There exists an open letter on the topic of EU seed regulation that will be sent:

to the Members of the European Parliament

to the Commissioner for Health and Consumer Protection
to the Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development
to the Commissioner for the Environment
to the Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion
to the Commissioner for Industry and Entrepreneurship
to the Commissioner for Development
to the Commissioner for Regional Policy

it is in English, French and German and both individuals and organisations can add their signature to this letter.  In case of individuals, their names do not get published , organisations add their name to their signature.  In addition to the many organisations that support this letter, there are 12,000 private signatures.  It is a little older than the petition, was written before the present crisis and urges EU commissioners to safeguard seed diversity.

http://www.seedforall.org/

Another 'done' 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 00:30:16 by galina »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal