Author Topic: Herb Bed size?  (Read 2183 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Herb Bed size?
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:12:51 »
My herb bed is looking really poor at the moment, I think last years wet spring, summer and then winter did for quite a few things. Still doing well are Chives, Lemon Balm and surprisingly Sage.  I’m seeing some sprouts of French Tarragon which is good but I thought now would be a good time to overhaul my bed?  I’m just thinking on enlarging it a bit as I’ve been managing on a 4x4’ raised bed (though I grow some herbs in a poly-tunnel too and coriander gets grown elsewhere).  I’ve got quite a few things I’ve been bringing on ready to plant out (Parsley, Thyme, Vietnamese Coriander, Rosemary, Lavender) and a few more types just sown.

Just wondering how much space others give to herbs and what are your must grows?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Herb Bed size?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:20:36 »
Lemon Thyme is a must for me and I have it right out side the back door.  Basil of various types are a must but Thai basil lives on the windowsill for as long as it will survive - the smell is so evocative.  I don't devote a lot of specific space to herbs as they tend to be spread between the lottie (parsley, Rosemary), The back garden (thyme, tarragon, oregano etc) and the little poly (coriander, basil)..

That reminds me to get some dill on!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 08:56:31 »
My must grows are parsley, chives, fennel, Vietnamese coriander, lemon verbena, basil, oregano, thyme, coriander and mint...oh and rosemary (must get new one as last years plants don't look very happy with their wet 'feet'.
I don't have any specific bed for them but they are all dotted around plot as I have space for them..or where ever they have decided to take residence themselves...with the result that I have huuuge clump of chives in one place...it is very happy and has been there for years so I can't upset it and try to move it. Bronze fennel is the same..self seeded itself and finds itself comfortable amongst my apple trees where it has settled its roots in old woodchip mulch...again..I let it be..it doesn't do any harm there :angel11:
One time I did used to have 'herb bed'..but some varieties enjoyed it and others didn't, so in the end this less organized way suited them and me much better..and bonus is that perennial herbs seem to enjoy more of those 'hard to grow anything' areas and prefer being left to their own devices...every now and then I just need to give them tickle under the chin with scissors :icon_cheers:

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 11:02:43 »
Like Goodlife, my herbs are planted amongst the flowers and seem to do fine. Even had basil in a bed of pachysandra out front. Cilantro: broadcast last year's saved seeds and it likes to come up best along gravel path and amongst rocks. I'd rather save blocks of space for flowers or veggies than use is for herbs when it is so adaptable.

Favorites: basils (ahhh), thyme, rosemary survived the winter in a pot on our enclosed porch (a first for survival!), nasturtiums, chives go well with flowers adding a spikey note to the bed, and the chive flowers are pretty right now.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 14:45:06 »
Interesting replies, must admit I like having them all in one spot, perhaps its because they are grown at home rather than a lottie, makes nipping out and picking from one bed easier.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal