Author Topic: Best way to start my peas  (Read 10180 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Best way to start my peas
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 21:50:31 »
I'm with Gavin's original reply. Did two 30' triple rows today. Don't have mice probs. so looking forward to a healthy crop.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 09:22:57 »
I start mine off indoors on the working surface in a utility room and currently have some in jiffy7's and some in an ice cream carton in compost and vermiculite .  Because the weather has been so cold though, I haven't been able to plant them out. 

They already have flowers on and there are also some pods that have developed already!  I was going to plant them out yesterday but then I noticed a frost was due. Once they are planted, I will start off a few more.  The ones in the ice cream carton have done just as well as the jiffy ones so I won't use the jijjy's for peas in future as they are expensive to buy.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 19:09:01 »
I was planning on planting out the first wrinkle-seeded sowings this weekend, but as mentioned above the temperatures drove me to keep them in the sheltered bit behind the greenhouse.... I have sown another tray of each Hurst Greenshaft and Ne PLus Ultra today, so that's another 5 feet of each.... might well get some more Telefono going soon, and possibly a load more HGS, I need to work out what's going where, but if I can spare another 20 foot row for peas then it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned, I love peas....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 18:49:04 »
My wrinkle-seeded peas are coming up very happily under cover.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 14:11:11 »
If you have really hungry mice then you want to get the pea plants so big that the seed is worn-out and tasteless.

Guttering is a bit too shallow for this and dries out too quickly for me (and it's a pig to water when it's dry - though it helps if you include some soil in the mix to aid wetting).

Pots are too fiddly - unless you are growing the 6- footer Alderman types 10mm or more apart.

The best trick is to remove the two long thin sides from 1L juice 'bricks' so you have a long deep bottomless pot - 5 will fit neatly in a standard drip tray, and then they are really easy to water.

I put 9 peas in each and when they are 150-200mm high I space each 'pot'  to make 1m of row from each tray - it's the work of seconds and you don't even have to remove the pots (unless you want to re-use them) as all the roots go straight out the bottom.

It's so easy it's worth using as your standard method - mice or no mice - especially for the first 2 or 3 sowings (though I skip the first sowing of really dwarf varieties and plant direct a little later).

It's also good for starting dwarf french beans - and 6pint milk containers make a larger pot for climbing french that fit 4 to a tray.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 09:01:57 »
I grow mine in short pieces of guttering as this way the mice don't eat all the seeds.  You can see pictures of how I prepare the guttering and sow the peas in the guttering here:

http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/peas-soup-and-a-frozen-yoghurt-recipe/

...and also how to get them out of the guttering here:

http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/how-to-get-peas-out-of-guttering-and-my-bean-trenches/

Hope this helps
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal