Author Topic: Brussels Sprouts - help!  (Read 1956 times)

Linda Tal

• Half Acre
  • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
Brussels Sprouts - help!
« on: March 09, 2005, 21:02:08 »
I am trying some Brussels Sprouts for the first time this year (Wellington F1 Hybrid).  I followed the instructions on the packet and started them off indoors.  They are now about 3" high and have about 4 or 5 leaves on them but they are a bit spindly! 

I'm not sure if I should keep them growing indoors (they are currently in 3" pots) or whether it's time to plant them outdoors.  I've got the ground covered with plastic to warm it up and I've got a cloche at the ready!

Can anyone give me some advice please.   ???

Linda

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
Re: Brussels Sprouts - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 21:33:13 »
Others may give you more detailed info...but things to try to prevent the seedlings getting more leggy is to increase the light they are in and reduce the heat....

I take it these sprouts must be an early variety...I am not planning to start mine for another 4-5 weeks and will then plant them out at end of may.
Thomas

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 22:01:07 »
I just sowed some in my greenhouse at the weekend.  As Thomas said, plenty of light and cool temperatures, you want to slow them down.  Don't know about planting out, I would have thought it is still a touch on the early side, I would hang of for another couple of weeks maybe.  Do you have a coldframe or greenhouse they could move into?

Linda Tal

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 22:07:52 »
I have a greenhouse but its heated at the moment.  I've got a small coldframe just sitting on the grass, do you think they would be OK in there?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 22:38:14 »
I would have thought your heated greenhouse would be okay, after all, it is a darn site colder in there than it is in your house....I assume  :-\  I would start them gently though, put them outside in the day in a sheltered spot and bring them in at night for a week, then move them permanently into the greenhouse...well...permanently for another week or 2 before setting them free!

Linda Tal

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 21:07:01 »
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.  :)

Linda.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 23:58:26 »
Linda; If you have a cold frame, put 'em in there. Brussels are pretty hardy even as seedlings. Cover your back, put another sowing in. You have about 8 months before you'll see any benifit any way.

Linda Tal

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 21:20:32 »
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Linda

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal