Author Topic: Removing the smell of compost from car  (Read 7832 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Removing the smell of compost from car
« on: April 13, 2013, 21:58:49 »
Hi All,

Well next week i am planning on making a trip to get some soil improver however it does really really stink any tips on removing the smell from inside a car? As it can linger for weeks...

Cam

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: Removing the smell of compost from car
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 22:31:01 »
Open windows when traveling with it... When finished leave all windows and doors open for as long as you can to air. Then some car air freshners hanging in it will do the trick..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 23:54:59 »
Yep tried all that :'(

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 00:22:19 »
Have you tried spraying with Febreze - maybe a couple of times?

Tricia  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:15:57 »
Time and Febreze.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:03:39 »
These were on internet. I like using baking soda  (Fabreze gives me a major headache.) Probably the dryer sheets only cover up the smell, not remove it. Would turning off the fan in the car prevent the odor from getting into that system? And covering up the pile of compost with plastic completely?

"Instead of using pan of baking soda, sprinkle the carpet and the upholstery with a generous amount of baking soda (make sure the material is dry). Gently brush it all over to attain full coverage. Let it stand for a few hours to absorb the offending odor and then vacuum it all up.

Place one or two bowls of white vinegar in the car for a day or two (while it is parked). Vinegar removes odors.

To remove odors from your car, crumble newspaper and leave in the car. Also, put a bag of plain charcoal briquets in the car to absorb orders. Do not use the kind with lighter fluid on the briquets

End car odors
New-car smell gradually turned into that old-car stench? Tuck a new dryer fabric softener sheet under each car seat to counteract musty odors and cigarette smells"
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 12:01:50 »
I have on many occasions moved rotted cow manure from my allotment to my home garden and further but have never had the problem of a stinking vehicle. The reason is that I bag it up and tie the bags tightly with string and then remove it immediately I get to my destination.
You do not make it clear whether you are going to use bags or just shovel it in onto some sort of cover that will hopefully protect your car carpets. Our 2nd car is 12 years old ( and about to be replaced ) but under no circumstances would I transport manure etc without pre-bagging even this old vehicle.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 15:57:23 »
Can, is it any compost. The only time we've had a problem was with JAB's grow bags. It was even worse when we opened it, stunk of sewage.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 15:51:05 »
Unless the compost actually soaks the upholstery I cant imagine the smell would linger for long.  If it does carry a baby around for a week, the smell of rusks dropped over the seat, baby vomit and dirty nappies would even mask Comfrey Brew !
Best laid plans and all that

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 17:28:45 »
I really don't see it as a problem - if you use a friends car!!  :toothy10:
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 00:37:13 »
Thanks all I have tried bagging it up no good its hot so plastic melts and bags rip if I use thick paper bags ut sweats  :BangHead:
Part of problem is to get to it you need to back car up to soil and I usually leave boot open while I load up.
This time I am taking 4 containers to fill plus a load of planting pockets which I am going to fill there and lay flat on plastic in car and cover.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal