Author Topic: Potatoes under weed suppresant fabric  (Read 4405 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Potatoes under weed suppresant fabric
« on: April 22, 2013, 21:03:20 »
Hello all.

Unfortunately my back is playing up and based on past history I'm unlikely to be able to do anything in the way of digging for at leastva  couple of weeks. I've got my early spuds in but the rest need to go in. I've got a bulb planter on a long handle which will enable me to make holes for seed potatoes and I can also drop a few chicken pellets in. I have some good quality black weed suppresant which I can get some help to get laid over the beds. I know you can use black plastic to grow potatoes underneath (cut a slot for the stem to come through). Would my black weed suppresant work just as well?

Regards

Bluecar

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Potatoes under weed suppresant fabric
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 21:39:21 »
I'd consider it so long as you can roll it back to harvest (or "tickle" out ) For my money its too expensive to write off for a single season. I also wonder whether it will keep the tubers from going green, although it supresses weeds by depriving them from sunlight so I guess it could be OK. Maybe leafmould on top, or straw. Slug pellets along the row as a pre-emptive strike. Please report back on results.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 22:06:46 »
Hello Ancellsfarmer.

That's a good point about the slugs. I'll certainly put slug pellets down. I also have concerns about them going green, but hopefully as this is very thick weed suppresant it shouldn't let the light in. I'm not sure what you mean by it's too expensive to write off for a single season.

As always I look forward to everybody' comments.

Regards

Bluecar

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 16:58:07 »
I have used this method for years for growing potatoes. I use a large diameter dibber to make the holes for the potatoes. Slugs are not a problem, but throw a few pellets down if you like, nor is greening of potatoes a problem. No problem with weeds. Only downside is my feeling that the crop is slightly less, and you may need to help some of the shoots through the fabric. You need to feed before you put the fabric, unless you water in feed while the potatoes are growing.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 18:48:42 »
Bluecar, I think he means that you would have to cut holes in the membrane? Therefore unless you are going to use it again on another bed the following year it is a one off use! An expensive thing to use, why not just use black plastic? far cheaper.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 20:24:21 »
Hello Willsy.

I've inherited the weed suppressant and, as it is good quality, I'll make sure that i store it after this season for future use. I guess the difficult part will be feeling where the plants are coming through so that I can cut the slits early enough to prevent the potato plants from dying. Any suggestions as how I'll achieve this.

Regards

Bluecar

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:04:21 »
I tried it one but the slugs were a nightmare.    I cut the slits first and put the potatoes through.   I am not sure that the plants will die very quickly under the fabric, after all it is normal to earth them up.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 21:43:36 »
easy enough to find, they protrude and are easy to see where you need to cut through.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 22:02:58 »
bluecar - are you covering existing planted spuds or new ones not planted yet?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:05:54 »
They are not planted yet.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:54:27 »
Ok so put the fabric down, then cut slits and then get your long bulb planter and plant through the slits.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 12:12:23 »
Thanks for your comments everybody.
Hopefully I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

Regards

Bluecar

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 13:09:24 »
Back done in...???....is it muscular or do you have a back 'condition'...either way the solution/easement of the problem is the same....
When Back pain strikes , muscles go into spasm and make the whole thing 'lock up' to avoid you doing any more damage...
You need to relax those muscles that control the back/spine...it is an easy enough process if you know where to or how to do this...So if youre willing to listen I will tell you k!
Firstly this is 'miles' easier if you have someone who can do this for you wife/partner/friend etc..
There are 3 muscles which commonly go into spasm the Psoas, the Illiopsoas and the Piriformis...google a human anatomy book to see them and where they go to (that is 3 each side of the body).
If you have a friend.. then here is the SP... you lie face down..the friend at your side facing your head...the friend places their elbow point on a spot which is roughly 1-1&1/2 inches above the head of the hip bone ( in the slight hollow of the buttock)and then GRADUALLY leans their full weight into and onto that spot (it takes alittle control but isn't hard) this pressure should be kept up for as LONG as you can stand it, bending that leg at the knee upwards can help you take a 'bit' more...
Preferably this should continue for 4-5 minutes, as the muscle you are after is the Piriformis (which incidentally has the sciatic nerve running right through the middle of..) This IS VERY painful but put up with it as long as possible (have a safety word which the friend will stop when they hear but otherwise they will let you curse etc to your hearts content )
When that one is done (especially on the side that any sciatic pain is first) go to the other side and do again...
The reason this takes so long and you have to put up with it is that to get to the Piriformis two of the largest muscles in the body have to give up and move out the way.the Glueus maximus amd minimus both lie above the piriformis...
Then....from the original point ...move horizontally up the body until you find the top of the hip girdle..move down (back) an inch or so and press in again with the elbow (gradually, this one really makes people squeak) 30 secs to a minute will do here...(then other side) and then another inch back down and 1/2 inch up towards the ceiling is the third and last point...30 secs to a minute...
before getting up, roll over then keeping one leg straight (ish, if you have mobility probs) pull the other knee up to your chest (as close as you can, do not lift head and chest off floor) and hug for the count of 10.. do this 3 times to each leg in turn, slowly and carefully...
rest for a min...then get up slowly...hot stuff like deep heat will help now! put it on NOT where the pain is showing (usually around the spine ) but where the points were pressed and the muscle run you investigated on the internet earlier...
THIS IS PAINFUL...but NOT as bad as having the constant nagging pain of a bad back, it is intense but somehow you know it is doing you good...THIS is Acupressure, and I do /did this for a living...People unable to stand upright or do more than shuffle  around holding themselves up on chairs etc WALK away after this and can usually get nearer to touching their toes than they have in years...
If on your own find those points and lean into a table corner whilst standing....will try to find a diagram if you need it!
Good luck...you've been warned about the pain, but I really do recommend this...I have a bad back and it is all that really works, done right it only needs repeating at LONG intervals 6 months or more...It also will NEVER be as painful as the first time..promise.
If you get on Amazon find the book Acupressure for Common Ailments by Michael Reid Gach...(a couple of quid now) and it will show you all this in easy diagrams....I think everyone should own this book!
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal