Author Topic: remove flowers advice on young chliil plants  (Read 1650 times)

N8R

• Quarter Acre
remove flowers advice on young chliil plants
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:26:27 »
hi folks looking for some advice about chillis .should i remove flowers from young plants about a foot tall . i would call the type im talking about "tall growing" varieties such pasilla bajio and pablano and cayennes i have other varieties such as yellow 7 pot various nagas and scorpions which are very healthy also but have not started flowering yet and they never seem to untill it really warms up but the "taller" varieties seem to flower earlier alot earlier i have also heard of peole pinching tops out basically im a coward lol to scared to do this my self and would really appreciate any advice on chillis thanks in advance to who ever hears my plee
         n8r ......... :happy7:

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: remove flowers advice on young chliil plants
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 13:10:17 »
No need to remove flowers from chili plants. It won't effact growth as thay will continue growing, producing flowers and fruits as long as the temperatures are high enough.

It is sometimes suggested to remove the "king" fruit and restrict the number of fruits from sweet pepper plants but not from chilies, again this is not necessary unless you are emulating those on supermarket shelves or growing for the show bench.

Chilies are one of the mose rewading crops you can grow. :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: pick flowers fron young plants
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 14:26:23 »
I have never had need to remove any flowers from young plants..you can leave them be. If you plant is strong and healthy enough to produce flowers and grow fruit..you will get early crop  :icon_cheers: If the plant is not ready..it will simply just drop the flowers without any fruit forming afterwards.
Early flowering don't stop the growth process for the rest of the plant.

N8R

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 15:09:21 »
ok brilliant i leave them on i usually do but have heard conflicting views... thanks n8r

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 16:13:54 »
Chilis tend to flush with flowers, stop and set fruit and then grow on again and repeat - several times.  There are far more knowledgeable peeps here on chilis so this may not be across all varieties but no need to remove flowers..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal