Author Topic: Home brewing in the greenhouse???  (Read 3737 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Home brewing in the greenhouse???
« on: July 03, 2013, 14:06:25 »
I'm not sure whether this one belongs in under-glass or drink but it was just a thought as my elderflower wine is under-way in it's demijohns.

Plants grow faster with an increased amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere - and wine ferments faster in a nice warm place - wine that's fermenting produces carbon dioxide in the little bubbles that escape.  So why not put the two in the same place and see if it helps things along?

Has anyone tried this ... is it a silly idea that I haven't thought through?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Home brewing in the greenhouse???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 14:15:56 »
No I don't think it's a silly idea although it may be too hot in your average greenhouse or too ventilated to contain the co2.
I've not done it myself but certain illicit indoor growers do use CO2 to boost production and I know one guy years back who talked of brewing his beer in his indoor garden..

Not that I condone such activity!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 14:21:07 »
I remember that some stages in wine making are best at a warm temp, then later they suggest cooler temps, maybe when they are in the secondary container stage. You might google "wine making temps" and see.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

vjm63

• Quarter Acre
    • Living in Estia
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 21:05:33 »
I think GrannieAnnie has a good point there - and wine usually needs to be at a steady temperature as well so if you get considerable variation ( maybe more than ten degrees C ) then the yeast might get 'stuck' and not ferment out properly.

I find wine is exothermic and so I any I start from May onwards into the autumn I wrap in an old towel to keep the initial heat in a little and then it keeps its own temperature going fine in the house - at a fairly steady 16-18C I guestimate.  Higher temperatures can mean quicker fermentation but not as good a wine at the end.

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 17:17:14 »
Too hot and too much of a fluctuation in temperature in a greenhouse.
Around a constant 24C (around normal room temperature) is the optimum for fermentation, unless you're making a proper lager, which is done at a lower temperature. 

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 00:31:28 »
All good advice. Brewing at high temperature produces fusel alcohols which taste harsh. Good control of temperature is one of the most important parameters in brewing, so not a good idea to do it in your greenhouse. If you want more co2 in your greenhouse then talk to your tomatoes. Homebrew helps - nobody else will listen   :drunken_smilie:.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 01:04:29 »
Thanks for all the replies - I think I agree with the sentiment of what's good for the plants is not necessarily better for the wine!  I made the mistake of leaving the nascent elderflower wine in the greenhouse and then going away in what turned out to be the hottest weekend of the year.  The yeast didn't like it!

It wasn't all dead from the heat but cooling it back down to normal yeast-friendly temperatures has definitely brought it back from the brink.

It's certainly something I'd think about for spring and autumn brews though.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 07:58:37 »
I would also worry about getting bugs in especially if the trap dried out. Much more likely in the greenhouse. I would suggest that you brew in the house and drink in the gardenl :drunken_smilie:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 14:02:46 »
The only wine that is made at crazy and fluctuating temps is madeira - though actually it is brewed at normal-ish temps and is matured at crazy ones.

France was the premier wine making country before refrigeration mainly because it's hot enough for good grapes and cool enough in winter to retain the volatile 'top-notes' during fermentation.

There's also the sunlight issue - it makes an off taste - especially in whites.

Much better idea to make the wine in controlled conditions and pipe the CO2 where you want it.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal