Author Topic: Greenhouse watering  (Read 5541 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
Greenhouse watering
« on: April 18, 2013, 22:40:13 »
I am looking at buying a couple if the "big dripper"kits for the greenhouse on the plot.has anybody tried them?

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouse watering
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 13:22:37 »
I am hoping to set up a drip watering system for my greenhouse too especially for use when I am on holiday.  Did you finally buy one admjh1 or are you still considering what to buy? 

I have 4 large water butts at the rear of my greenhouse which I am hoping to link up with.

Most of my stuff is in growbags but I don't know how often the system would need to be on.

Any advice from anyone who uses a drip watering system would be much appreciated.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 14:03:04 »
I've successfully installed the Sol Irrigata solar powered water butt pump/drip irrigation system in the greenhouse this year and it works great.  I love the fact that the water in the butts comes from the top of the greenhouse and the amount of time the pump runs for each day is dictated by the amount of sun the greenhouse has received ... very nice indeed.

My greenhouse plants are directly in the ground - the water from the system is enough to stop them dying if you went away for a few weeks - but I still like give the whole bed a soak every now and then just to make sure there's enough deep down.

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 17:24:18 »
I'm currently testing out a big drippa in my greenhouse.  It seems to be working well, though I did have to raise the bag above the growbags to get a flow going.  One thing I've noticed is that if you put liquid feed into the system it affects the drip rate (slows it down).  I must make the water slightly more viscous or something similar as I had to fiddle with the drippers after feeding.

I did have 2 good sized water tanks that were removed when we had a new heating system put in that I was going to set up a watering system with this year but they went up in smoke in the arson attack on the allotments,  :angry4:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 21:26:39 »
I'm using the big drippa system in my lottie greenhouse, I use 4 bags for 3 cucumbers, 6 tomato plants in pots and the remaining two bags for 12 tomato plants in pots on top of growbags. I check the flow after each refilling as the more water in the bag the faster it goes but it lasts mg plants anywhere from three to seven days.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:31:56 »
In the end, I have had to use a drip hose attached to the mains with a timer as all my water butts are empty!  The butts, although huge, were only installed in April when we built the greenhouse.  I bet they would have been full this time last year! 

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 13:56:15 »
I use dripfeed heads and tubing bought in a farmers shop (not UK) - everything is between 5-20% the price of the UK ones - mostly the lower end - you can't get those prices here with all the gardeners and wannabees over here that are happy to throw money at any problem - the shops really see you coming...

I use a raised butt for drips in my polytunnel and have a T on the system with a tap to the supply connector - open it and I can put mains water into the drips and the butt until it is full, close it and the drips come from the butt - it takes a day to empty and I fill it every other day or two in high summer.

You have to be aware that pond life in the butt will create gunge that may get to the drips - so you either need a cleaning routine or variable drips.

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal