Author Topic: When is it ok to shorten roots?  (Read 1846 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
When is it ok to shorten roots?
« on: April 14, 2013, 17:16:28 »
I know it's often recommended to snip the roots of leeks before you plant them and I'm not sure why.
When I was pricking out some coriander today (I know it's said it doesn't transplant well, but that's another matter!) I was amazed how long the roots were and wondered if I could snip them before putting into pots/ground, rather than have to dig really deep or have the roots curling round? Despite only having one true leaf some of the roots were about a foot long!

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: When is it ok to shorten roots?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:27:46 »
I usually cut leek roots by a third at least so that they `plop` neatly into their holes. I did the strawberries that I wanted to get into planters and they have all settled and started growing. Most stuff seems to be ok but I use modules for all seeds, except leeks, which I just grow in a heap in tall pots

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 17:22:44 »
Thanks- I didn't think I was going to get any response to this one!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 18:12:21 »
"They" say that it actually makes no difference to the leek if you cut it or not.. just easier to plonk them in with their roots trimmed.. But you should also trim the top if you trim the legs!!

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 18:52:09 »
Leeks don't mind but coriander sulks after any root disturbance so don't add insult to injury by cutting them too.
Obxx - Vendée France

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 19:08:29 »
I never shorten the roots - too much faff.  I just stick the leek in the dibbed hole and pour the water in, and if the roots want to dangle out the hole I let them, and the leeks don't mind.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal