Author Topic: Aminopyralid year four  (Read 2429 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Aminopyralid year four
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:42:02 »
I had hoped that by now it would have been done with, especially after all the rain.  So finally planted some broad beans on contaminated soil.  Well they look pretty sick.  Those planted at the same time on good soil are looking surprisingly bonny,

So much for breaking down in the soil in a few weeks.

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: Aminopyralid year four
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 15:32:32 »
What have you been doing with the land since it got contaminated?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:48:06 »
We still have localised patches of damage on things particulalry potatoes and tomatoes and dahlias. Its riddiculous that a chemeical designed to kill native plant species has been allowed to be released into the the uk that has untested long term inpacts and has been re licensed after massive well dmcumented damage to gardeners, soils and the link between organic growing and stables. Not to mention the long term biodiversity loss on the pastures and cereal fields and margins it was used on.

It makes my blood boil DOW and monsanto both evil. But obviously theres big profit in fing over nature.

Good to document whats happened though and never use untested manure.
sorry
XSunloving

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:11:11 »
The problem seems to be buried manure.  Unfortunately I put some at the bottom of a trench.  I am trying to bring it up to the surface, but have missed the odd bit.

I have been growing Sweet Corn but wanted to move on so tried some broad beans.  Ended up with three out of eight surviving the others got the curly leaves and then died.  And as always with AP it is patchy and the three remaining are so far looking fine.

I think that it is important not to bury manure you are 100% sure about it.   AP apparently breaks down better with light and air.   I also think that is why the farmers have not had the same degree of problems because they spread muck by flinging it onto the surface with a machine.

I am hoping that the new manure from our original source will now be ok.  Tests are looking promising.  I have grown some very bonny beans.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal