Author Topic: Saddening  (Read 17283 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Saddening
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 10:20:12 »
The best idea was from those who simply turned their back on the cortege as it went past. No fuss, no hitting anyone, just a mark that they did not agree with her politics or what it did to Britain. Even though I admired her perseverance, it was often for the wrong cause. I am from a family of miners (my mother was from Easington Colliery!), so I know what her politics did to a lot of people already very poor, but at least proud and happy to be in their community.
Britain is now sadly a completely consumerist society, run by finance and the government are merely economic managers, with no vision or humanity. This is unfortunately true in most places. Thatcherism created an underclass in the UK, ruled by an elite of high flyers. It is going to take a miracle to remedy that! The best we can do is just to individually promote actions of kindness, generosity and social justice.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

pumkinlover

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 11:03:04 »
The best idea was from those who simply turned their back on the cortege as it went past. No fuss, no hitting anyone, just a mark that they did not agree with her politics or what it did to Britain. Even though I admired her perseverance, it was often for the wrong cause. I am from a family of miners (my mother was from Easington Colliery!), so I know what her politics did to a lot of people already very poor, but at least proud and happy to be in their community.
Britain is now sadly a completely consumerist society, run by finance and the government are merely economic managers, with no vision or humanity. This is unfortunately true in most places. Thatcherism created an underclass in the UK, ruled by an elite of high flyers. It is going to take a miracle to remedy that! The best we can do is just to individually promote actions of kindness, generosity and social justice.

Well said.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:35 »
Good post Antipodes.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:26 »
The ceremony was good, apart from what anyone thinks about Margaret Thatcher.  Perhaps we could do it again with all the horses, etc. just as a good day out and no funeral.  Not sure that it was a good idea, but don't think throwing things at the horses and upsetting them was right, they had no choice. [/u] Hope the mararthon goes OK.  All over now, St Pauls looked good, so lets all forget it.

That never happened Borlotti. Some Thatcherites were throwing flowers at the coffin as it passed and some media fool reported it as people throwing things at the horses.
Its a sad world though eh? Absolute truths denied. Statistics plucked from thin air, and reporters lying to sell more copies of their rags. :bang-head:

I honestly can't see a peaceful way out of this.... Unless we adopt the Icelandic model.
Rather than bailing the bankers out and protecting bondholders, as did our lot, Iceland forced losses on to the bank’s creditors. They allowed their banks to fail and jailed the miscreants that were responsible for gambling their country's money away. The banks ended up defaulting on more than $85 billion.       http://www.businessinsider.com/iceland-default-2011-11?op=1
As I unerstand it, they then replaced their government with a new one and a system of participatory democracy that involves far more people than just a bunch of 'elected' representatives.
Iceland is fast recovering. When's our turn I wonder?

And yes. Well said Antipodes.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 11:41:40 »
Lets put an end to this debate and get  back to gardening topics !  " ding dong the witch is dead "

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 12:38:40 »
Well said Nigel B..Antipodes and Worzel....
Growing reeds for your roofing needs...
Always consult a Thatcher that has a good firm sod over their head!
 :wave:
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 13:56:51 »
Nigel, a lie will be three times round the world before the truth has got its boots on :BangHead:. It makes papers sell.

And I had forgotten all the stuff about her beloved son Mark. Perhaps he might like to chip in with the funeral costs. Just the thought of all that money being spent on her funeral sends my blood pressure through the roof.
Especially as my young DIL's mum died suddenly the day before Mrs T and they are struggling to find the money for her funeral.

It worries me that in this totally materialistic society, that so many of our young people are ao indifferent to politics and what the politicians are doing. :BangHead:

That's me lot now; suns shining so am off to the garden. Will find snails and slugs to cut in half and take out my irritation on them.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 14:14:50 »

Especially as my young DIL's mum died suddenly the day before Mrs T and they are struggling to find the money for her funeral.

Sadly, I know exactly how they feel Mrs Tweedy.
My partner's Mum died the day before Thatcher too.  Her funeral hasn't taken place yet either. Because Mr Nig works a minimum-wage job, we have to pay. (The only benefit we receive is £20pw for my DLA, although they don't call it a benefit, they still add it into their sums)
 She's had to borrow almost £600, (To be paid back from her wages at the end off this month. Every penny), before the funeral company will even move her from the hospital. The funeral is now scheduled for the 25th.
Please pass on our very best wishes to your DIL and family. They are certainly not alone in struggling to pay for a funeral.

Right! Potatoes, spade, soil. Let's mix-em-up and see if we can't grow a little of our own help. :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 20:02:36 »
Thanks Nigel, I will pass on your good wishes.

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2013, 09:01:38 »
Condolences to both Mrs Tweedy and Nigel B....
I can see a time soon when the Hospitals will be so full of our passed loved ones that it becomes a public health issue, only the missus here has any sort of chance of being buried and it being 'paid for'....what are times coming to eh!
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 09:46:42 »
Like weddings, funerals are only as expensive as you make them

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 14:38:28 »
Like weddings, funerals are only as expensive as you make them

The cheapest you can get away with is about £2,000 and unlike weddings you need  to have a funeral.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal